Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024
The Emory Wheel

EPD-Stock_Rutherford-Jack_Staff-6-2048x1365-1

Crime Report: Arrest for terroristic threats, property damage at Emory Point parking deck, altercation at Emory University Hospital

The Emory Wheel regularly meets with Emory Police Department (EPD) Records Manager Ed Shoemaker (87G, 90G) and Director of Campus Safety Communications Morieka Johnson (94C) and uses EPD’s public crime log to inform the Emory University community about recent crime on and around Emory’s campuses.

To report a crime, contact EPD at 404-727-6111 or police@emory.edu.

Criminal trespass, property damage, theft of services at Emory Point

EPD responded to a call around 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 12 reporting property damage at the Emory Point East Deck parking garage.

While observing the security cameras, the Emory Point operations manager saw a white Mercedes-Benz drive up to the parking deck gate. Shoemaker said that the passenger got out of the vehicle, lifted the gate arm, broke it and then drove out of the parking deck without paying for parking.

The security footage showed the license plate on the car, and EPD is currently trying to locate the owner of the vehicle.

It is unknown how much the individual owed for parking, according to Shoemaker.

Simple battery at Emory University Hospital

A physical altercation occurred at the Emory University Hospital (EUH) on Sept. 5 between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m. A female employee at EUH contacted EPD on Sept. 12 about the incident, which was between her and a male co-worker.

The employee said she was walking through the hallway of the hospital blood bank when a male coworker, whom she has had issues with in the past, walked past her and elbowed her in the left arm. The female employee then fell against the wall and struck some coat hangers. She was bruised from her injury, according to Shoemaker.

The individual said she has had ongoing issues with this coworker for some time due to his “passive aggressive behavior.” Shoemaker said she had already notified her supervisors about the issue.

EPD is pursuing this inquiry to see what other actions she plans to undertake and if she wants to pursue a criminal prosecution.

Arrest for terroristic threats

Around 11:15 a.m. on Sept. 14, EPD received a complaint from an individual who is not affiliated with Emory but lives within EPD’s jurisdiction. The resident stated that her roommate was making both suicidal and homicidal threats and possibly had a weapon. 

After arriving at the house, EPD met the suspect, who told EPD she had threatened to harm her roommate and that she had experienced a mental breakdown.

The suspect said that she did not own a weapon, according to Shoemaker. However, Shoemaker said she had a plan in place to harm herself and the other party but had not acted on it. EEMS soon arrived on the scene to evaluate the suspect medically after EPD searched the house for weapons. Nobody was hurt and EPD did not find any weapons, according to Shoemaker. EMS proceeded to take her to Emory Decatur Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

EPD also spoke with the individual’s roommate, who showed EPD screenshots of threatening text messages. The roommate indicated to EPD she was interested in pressing charges on the suspect.

“One of the text messages evidently reflected a purchase receipt for a handgun that had been bought and was waiting to be picked up,” Shoemaker said.

After learning of the suspect’s threats to harm her roommate, EPD obtained a warrant for the arrest of the individual from a DeKalb County magistrate. Around 4:30 p.m. that day, EPD received a call from Emory Decatur Hospital notifying them that they were preparing the individual to be discharged. EPD went to the hospital once she was discharged and took the individual into custody under the authority of the arrest warrant.

EPD transported her to the DeKalb County Jail, where she awaits further proceedings, according to Shoemaker.