Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

VotingCoalition-HayleyPowers.png

Biden bows out: Let Harris’ candidacy re-energize young voters

After months of uncertainty and widespread panic across the United States, The Young Democrats of Emory University (YDE) are more confident than ever that democracy stands a chance in light of President Joe Biden’s decision to suspend his campaign for the 2024 presidential election. Now, as young voters in Georgia, a swing state that could decide the outcome of the presidential election, the executive board of YDE is enthusiastic to vote for Vice President Kamala Harris as the nation’s next president, with Harris likely to officially secure the Democratic nomination in coming days.

Two-thirds of Americans have expressed doubts about Biden’s ability to triumph over former President Donald Trump on Election Day. By suspending his campaign, Biden has paved the way for Democratic wins up and down the ballot this fall. Infusing a renewed vitality through younger party leadership will put a spotlight on the Democrats’ nominees across the country, not only on the top of the presidential ticket. YDE is grateful for the way Biden has demonstrated humility and prioritized the wishes of the American people.

Harris has proven herself to be a qualified, progressive Democrat throughout her professional and political career. She had one of the most progressive voting records out of all Democrats as a California senator, co-sponsoring bills such as Medicare for All and the Green New Deal. In her tenure as vice president, she cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate, confirming numerous nominations to federal judge positions. She has been a fierce advocate for reproductive rights: Harris was the first vice president to visit an abortion clinic and led a nationwide reproductive freedoms tour. Our next president has the power to shape America’s future, determining whether it will be a place of progress or regression. We, as young voters, are the ones who will be most affected by this decision — the policies enacted today will impact our careers, education and quality of life for decades to come. Young voters at Emory should be motivated to create a progressive future.

Our elected officials should reflect America’s diversity, and Harris’ candidacy does exactly that. She is the daughter of immigrants, with her father hailing from Jamaica while her mother is from India. The opportunity to elect America’s first Black and Asian American woman to the presidency brings us renewed excitement for November.

Trump’s rhetoric has rallied and unified his base in a way that Democrats have been unable to emulate in recent years, but a Harris ticket is already changing that. This election is an opportunity for Democrats to prove the power of our party when we unify. Biden won Georgia by a mere 12,000 votes in 2020 — that is less than the total enrollment of our university. Therefore, it is crucial that young people everywhere, but especially at Emory, vote in November. We have the power to determine the outcome of this election.

We will be marching to the polls on Nov. 5 with hope for the future. While Biden’s decision to step down does not guarantee a win for Democrats, it does bring us one step closer to a future free of right-wing extremism. Not only are we thrilled to vote for a candidate who stands for us, but we are also excited to live in a country where we can continuously ask our elected officials to do better and see our voices reflected in policy.  

We implore all on Emory’s campus to reach out to us on Instagram (@theemorydems) or email (theemorydems@gmail.com) if you need help registering to vote in Georgia. While we are a partisan organization, we are primarily focused on mobilizing the student body to vote, and our voter registration events will be strictly nonpartisan. Your vote matters in this election, and we advocate that you use it.

This op-ed does not reflect the beliefs of all members of the Young Democrats of Emory. 

Kylie Hanson (25C) is from Columbus, Ohio..

Madison Tiaffay (26C) is from Alameda, Calif.

Khushi Niyyar (26C) is from Atlanta.

Luka Heidari (26C) is from Glenview, Ill.

Joshua Kravath (22Ox, 25C) is from New York City.

Lola McGuire (26C) is from Nashville, Tenn.

Pranay Mamileti (26B) is from San Jose, Calif.

Deven Shah (26C) is from New York City. 

Dani Parra del Riego Valencia (25B) is from Miami.

Joanna Louis-Ugbo (26C) is from Atlanta.