Friday, Sept. 27, 2024

‘Fresh’ won’t leave a bad taste in your mouth

This article contains spoilers.

Since the mid-’90s, online dating has had a complicated presence in cinema. While films like “You’ve Got Mail” (1998) show the beauty that can be found in these relationships, more often than not, there’s an emphasis on the dangers and repercussions of virtual romances. From movies like “Bad Match” (2017) to documentaries like “Catfish” (2010) and “The Tinder Swindler” (2022), the internet is depicted as a hellish landscape where those seeking love online can trust no one. The latest film to build upon this theme and highlight this cynicism in the real world is Mimi Cave’s directorial debut “Fresh.”

“Fresh,” which was released Mar. 4 on Hulu, follows Noa (Daisy Edgar-Jones), a young woman who’s grown tired of the pretentious men and the unsolicited dick pics that embody online dating. Taking the advice of her best friend Mollie (Jonica T. Gibbs), Noa asks out a man she met at the supermarket named Steve (Sebastian Stan). After a few dates, Steve invites her over to his house, where Noa finds out about his entrepreneurial work: selling human flesh. Now imprisoned by Steve, Noa has to escape from the clutches of her captor as she learns that no one can be trusted online or offline. 

The film is a solid example of a slow-burn horror, with the first act feeling like it was taken out of a romance movie. Noa running into “Mr. Perfect” in the produce section feels reminiscent of Hallmark movies, and Steve’s charisma only continues to strengthen that connection. It’s this same inviting personality that draws Noa into his middle-of-nowhere home — Steve spiking her drink when they get there catalyzes the shift from romantic drama to horror. The title displays on-screen as Steve drags her body to the basement, and one begins to reconsider some of his questions and comments, including statements about how he doesn’t use social media and questions about how close she is with her family.

Fresh-1024x554
Courtesy of Searchlight Pictures

The cast as a whole provide phenomenal performances that highlight the desperation of their characters. Edgar-Jones offers a range of emotions such as distress, anger and curiosity as Noa’s desire to escape forces her into Steve’s cat-and-mouse games. Gibbs embodies the cunningness and dedication of a detective as Mollie searches for Noa. Charlotte Le Bon, who plays Steve’s wife Ann, uses silence and a compliant tone to highlight her character’s anguish toward being her husband’s accomplice. 

While the entire cast was excellent, one of the strongest performances was Stan. With his soft tone and spurts of anger interspersed throughout, Steve is a character that could charm his way out of anything. Even after he told Noa that he drugged her, she laughed it off as if it was a joke, only to stop when noticing the chain going from the wall to her wrist. Stan also provides some of the more comedic moments in the film, with absurd scenes of him dancing around the kitchen while cooking human flesh and dry humor about cannibalism over dinner. We’re only in March, but with “Fresh” and “Pam and Tommy” (2022), this is shaping out to be a good year for Sebastian Stan performances.

There's a common theme in movies related to kidnapping when it comes to setting. Films like “Don’t Breathe” (2016) and “Hounds of Love” (2016) reflect the depravity of the kidnappers in the griminess of the prisons they create. However, “Fresh” eschews these tropes by taking place in a refined home. Sleek countertops and walls lined with paintings feel fitting for a wealthy charmer like Steve. The classiness continues as one enters his basement prison, with steel bars replaced by a wooden railing and cells adorned with vibrant wallpaper. The set design breaks away from previous kidnapping movies and offers a glimpse into the mind of the antagonist.

For me, one essential element of a fun movie is a good soundtrack, and “Fresh” delivers. Not only are there bops throughout, but each one pairs so well with its respective scene. Steve dances to “Obsession” by Animotion while chopping up a leg for delivery, highlighting his passion. Ann struggles to get in the shower while Steve goes on a run listening to Duran Duran’s cover of “Perfect Day.” Although the song emphasizes Steve’s freedom, its use on Ann explores the confinement of her marriage. 

However, one of my favorites is Cindy Fee’s cover of “Thank You for Being a Friend.” While searching for clues, Mollie calls Noa’s phone and hears this ringtone, leading her closer to her missing friend. With so many other excellent songs, “Fresh” has a soundtrack that will draw the viewer into the world of the film.

Rarely do I run into a horror film that is so bizarrely original, charming and, dare I say, fresh. Powered by an engaging narrative and an extraordinary cast, “Fresh” is a movie I recommend to anyone hungry for a good time.