Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Not Just Giving, Giving Thoughtfully

It's painful to watch tragedy from the comfort of your couch, and it's painful to recognize the privileged triviality of that pain.

It's also painful to learn about typhoons, floods, tornados, warfare and extreme poverty because by hearing the quotes of those whose lives have been inexplicably ruined by these devastating forces, you realize your own fortune. And by the incredible talent of the human mind to see itself mirrored in others, you recognize that the family torn apart by an explosive gust of wind could have been your family. Those crowds scrambling, scavenging for food and clean water could have been your friends. A lone man or woman, struggling to survive in a debris wasteland, could have been you.

The natural reaction in this natural process of empathetic grief is to do something, to do anything possible to help those nameless, faceless crowds of people who are in this instant clinging to life somewhere far away from you.

You need to help because in any instant, the sturdy walls around you could fly away in splinters and your plaster ceiling could suddenly become an angry black sheet of water about to break upon you.

You need to help because you care about the awful experiences of these people who gaze back at you with traumatized eyes from your CNN homepage. You feel, in a strange way, as if you should apologize for your central heating and your tap water. You want to give the victims your excess groceries and working electricity, because they deserve it more than you. This urge to reach out feels necessary and immediate. You want to give.

This need to help takes place on a global scale. According to a Saturday report by the U.S. Agency for International Development, countries around the world  have pledged approximately $166.7 million in relief aid for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Over $27 million of these donations came from the U.S. Still, this relief falls short of the $301 million requested by the U.N. Humanitarian Action Plan for the Philippines typhoon response.

On a local level, it is easy to find a way to give to the relief effort. International humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross, UNICEF and the World Food Programme have simple ways to donate minimum amounts from the Internet or by telephone. The Red Cross even accepts donations through text messages or through Facebook.

In a Nov. 15 news story, NPR reported that the Philippines' tendency to export workers "has created a far-flung and yet close-knit diaspora" which is responding strongly to this tragedy. Atlanta's microcosm of this global community came together last week at Cathedral of Christ the King in Buckhead for a special mass to pray for the victims of the tragedy. Emory University's own Filipino Student Association is holding a fundraiser event on Nov. 23, with all proceeds going to Advancement for Rural Kids (ARK), a nonprofit organization that works in the province of Capiz.

All of these options to help can seem overwhelming if you truly want to use your money to make a lasting and effective difference. If you have a specific goal for where you want your money to be spent (i.e. food, women and children, construction), the site Charity Navigator has listed organizations that are providing aid and has also given those organizations transparency ratings.

Although the knee-jerk reaction may be to donate immediately, it is always a good idea to do research before giving an organization your funds. The ARK is an organization that relies solely on volunteers and is completely on the ground, allowing all of your funds to go directly to relief programs. If you are worried about your money being spent on general administration or being saved for future use, many organizations are transparent about their donating process and allow you to designate where your gift should be going.

Author for Slate and humanitarian aid worker Jessica Alexander pointed out that many people are wary of directly donating cash, since organizations may use some of those costs  for general operating.

People want to see their donations making a difference. However, Alexander writes that even funds used for overhead costs for organizations like the Red Cross are necessary – especially in a situation like the current one in the Philippines, where access to fuel and communications is nearly impossible in some areas.

Charity Navigator points out that in emergency situations sending supplies is "simply not practical or efficient," even though packaging up a box of food and physical donations may feel like you're making a more immediate impact. Mail service in the Philippines is not functional at the moment and oftentimes well-meant donated supplies can be useless and waste volunteer time.

Alexander writes that relief aid workers have a special nickname for the hand-me-downs and old canned goods shipped in as donations: SWEDOW – Stuff We Don't Want.

The desire to help is an admirable emotion. But the process of donating to a worthy cause should be done with thoughtful consideration so that you ultimately end up making the most tangible impact. There is always enough time to think about your donation, although it may seem like immense disasters like Typhoon Haiyan demand immediacy.

It is also important to think long-term, since in many cases areas hit hard by catastrophes will need years to recover. Typhoon Haiyan in particular has devastated key sectors of the Philippines' economy, meaning that the country will continue to need long-term help.

Giving is something that should be done wisely and with thought. Although giving is an emotional act, it is above all most important to remember the recipient. Aid goes toward relief for victims, not relief for your conscience.

Mary Claire Kelly is a College senior from Tucker, Ga.