Kathleen Carroll, senior vice president and executive editor of the Associated Press (AP), discussed the opening of the AP’s bureau in North Korea and offered advice to journalism students  yesterday.

The AP bureau in North Korea, which opened in January, became the first news organization to establish a long-time presence in the country.

Her lecture, titled “Dateline Pyongyang: The Associated Press and the Opening of North Korea,” also included a question-and-answer session. The event took place at 4 p.m. in the Robert W. Woodruff Library and was cosponsored by the Journalism department and the Halle Institute for Global Learning.

Additionally, Carroll spoke at a journalism reception open to journalism co-majors and minors as well as those who are currently enrolled in journalism classes. Journalism faculty, staff and reporters from organizations including the AP also attended.

After an introduction from Director of the Journalism Program  and James M. Cox Professor of Journalism  Hank Klibanoff, Carroll told students that even in the privacy of her home, she doesn’t make her opinions known in order to portray objectivity.

She also informed students of the generally growing importance of the field of journalism.

“People have a right to know what institutions are doing on their behalf,” she said. “…We have to hold true to our values and executive them at high degrees.”

– By Jordan Friedman