alumniheadshot ben leiner

Twice a month, the Wheel will feature and interview a notable or interesting University alum about their time at Emory, its impact on their post-graduation life and advice for current students.

Ben Leiner graduated from Emory in 2014 with a B.A. in History and Economics. He currently lives in New York City and is an Associate at Global Strategy Group, a public affairs firm, conducting polls for democratic political candidates and doing his best imitation of Josh Lyman from “The West Wing.” He sat down with the Wheel to discuss his time at Emory, how it affected his life and offered tips for current Emory students. 

Wheel: What were you involved with around campus when you were at Emory?
Leiner: I was the president of the Emory Concert Choir, an Orientation Leader, a delegate with Emory Model UN (now EIRA), an op-ed contributor to the Wheel and one of the founders of the Emory Club Squash team.

Wheel: How did Emory prepare you for your post-graduation life in the “real world”?
Leiner: It taught me to take advantage of every opportunity. To succeed at Emory, I had to learn to be proactive, put myself out there and ask the right questions. When I got to New York, my Emory experience taught me how to create community and get involved. Although professional life keeps me plenty busy, I’ve managed to find time to join a choir, try new foods, take in some Broadway shows and make new friends along the way.

Wheel: What do you miss the most about Emory?
Leiner: I miss being able to plan my own schedule – nowhere else in life do you have the freedom to hang out with your friends, party and/or go to class in any combination you want. I miss class, as I had some of the best professors not just at Emory, but in the world. And, more than all of that, I miss being around the best group of friends anyone could ask for.

Wheel: What advice do you have for current Emory students?
Leiner: My PACE advisor freshman year gave me the best advice I ever received at Emory – by the end of your four years, you should have compiled a list of the 20 best professors on campus and taken classes with at least 15 of them. Following that advice led me to have a once-in-a-lifetime academic experience.

Wheel: What is one thing you wish you know as an Emory student you can pass down?
Leiner: It took me until the end of my four years to realize that, in college, you should never say “no.” Your job and the real world will give you plenty of excuses to say “no,” but in college, (basically) all the choices are good ones, and you should embrace them all.

– By Stephen Fowler, Assistant News Editor

Stephen Fowler 16C is the political reporter at Georgia Public Broadcasting, the statewide NPR affiliate in Georgia. He graduated from Emory with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies and covered the central administration and Greek Life for the Wheel before serving as assistant news editor, Emory Life editor and the Executive Digital Editor from 2015-16.