Alma Billings, a long-time Sodexo employee who worked in the Dobbs University Center (DUC) and is remembered for her smile and laughter, died Feb. 14. She was 62.

The cause of death was a stroke, according to Dobbs Market Executive Chef Colin Quirk and numerous Sodexo employees.

Billings was working at the Dobbs University Center (DUC) on Friday when she suddenly fell to the ground. She was immediately transported to Emory University Hospital and died later that night.

Fellow Sodexo employee and Billings’ friend Paulette Howard said Billings had worked at the University for 23 years. She began working at the DUC salad bar and then she moved on to deli supervisor and ultimately, cashier.

Howard said Billings did a fantastic job at all three stations. Billings and Howard have always referred to themselves as “twins” because they shared the same birthday, Nov. 28.

Before coming to the University, Billings worked for the Peachtree Café and the Carter Center and enjoyed reading and cooking in her free time, Quirk said.

Billings’ friends and co-workers remember this caring nature of Billings. Fellow Sodexo employee Tenecia Isom recalls Billings as somebody who was always happy and dedicated to her job.

“Ms. Billings stayed young by coming to work and making people laugh,” Isom said.

Sodexo employee Belinda David told the Wheel that Billings was always a hard worker, a good person and mostly, “real fun.”

Howard said Billings had an obvious concern for others and told the Wheel that Billings always kept gum, safety pins and ibuprofen in her purse in case anyone needed anything.

Howard added that Billings would have done anything for anyone, calling others “darling” whenever she could.

College junior Jovonna Jones posted on her personal Facebook page that Billings always made sure to check on her and was extremely genuine.

A funeral is being held today at 8 a.m. There will also be a “Homegoing Service” for friends and family to celebrate Billing’s journey back “home” to heaven, held on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Helping Hands Church.

To further honor Billings, many of the Sodexo employees who worked with Billings through the years are putting together a fund to donate to Diane Billings, her daughter.

Howard told the Wheel that Sodexo employees always take care of one another.

“We’re a great big family,” she said.

Howard, Isom and David all agreed that they will miss Billings and love her very much, and that Valentine’s Day was very appropriate for the passing of such a lovely woman.

Billings is survived by her daughter and brother.

If anyone would like to show their support for Billings, a poster will be set up at the ticket booth at the DUC from Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. for people to sign. The poster will then be given to her family.

– By Naomi Maisel