By Jasmine Tang

Contributing Writer

This year marked the 86th year of the Academy Awards.

In honor of this event, hundreds of the industry’s finest actors and actresses gathered at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, Calif. to commemorate the very best work of 2013.

The stars celebrated in true A-List fashion with couture gowns, enormous baubles and dapper tuxedos.

And as I see it, Lupita Nyong’o, Cate Blanchett and Jennifer Lawrence lead the women for best dressed of the evening.

My favorite look of the evening goes to Lupita Nyong’o, who took home the trophy for Best Supporting Actress (for her role as Patsey in “12 Years a Slave”).

She stunned in a pale blue, crystal-embellished Prada creation, featuring vertical pleats and a deep V-neck. She accented the look with a Fred Leighton headband.

Jennifer Lawrence, the evening’s undeniable runner-up for Best Supporting Actress (for her role as Rosalyn in “American Hustle”) and – in my opinion – Best Red Carpet Look, wore a striking, crimson Dior creation, with a peplum waist, which she paired with a shimmering, Neil Lane diamond necklace.

Cate Blanchett, winner of Best Actress (for her role as Jasmine in “Blue Jasmine”), wore an embellished gold Armani Privé gown that featured ornate beading and gold Swarovski crystals.

Other winning looks included Angelina Jolie, Naomi Watts, Kristen Bell, Jessica Biel and Charlize Theron.

Anna Kendrick, Anne Hathaway and Chrissy Teigen, in contrast, all chose gowns that were disappointing. Kendrick wore a black J. Mendel gown, which was too busy and complicated for her small frame. The multiple directions of drapery and strange embellished panel lacked the grace of other women who chose more flattering gowns.

This year, Anne Hathaway wore a Gucci gown with a cut similar to the Prada creation that she wore at last year’s event. The gown featured a plain black base with an unflattering disco ball-style top.

As for the men, white tuxedo jackets paired with classical bottoms and button-downs were very popular. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto (both of whom were nominated – and won – for “Dallas Buyers Club”) both favored this bold trend.

Bradley Cooper receives my award for Best Classic Tuxedo of the evening. Mario Lopez, Kellan Lutz and Leonardo DiCaprio also looked dapper in simple tuxedos.

Kevin Spacey chose a navy Burberry tuxedo, which featured black lapels.

It was a fresh change from the typical black ensembles that other attendees sported.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt also strayed from the stereotypical attire, opting for a dark grey, tweed Calvin Klein tuxedo that left ladies around the nation swooning.

Other fashion awards for the evening include:

Best Dressed Couple: Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum

Most Eye Catching: Lady Gaga

Best Use of a Clutch: Kristen Bell (she fit a burrito into her clutch!)

Best Bow-tie: Jared Leto (his oxblood, silk creation was playful)

Best Hair: Sandra Bullock

Best Ombre: Jared Leto

Best Cropped ‘Do: Lupita Nyong’o

Best Baubles: Jessica Biel

– By Jasmine Tang