As a recent graduate of class 2012, I am grieved by the successive incidents at Emory that have tainted its reputation. Yet, at the same time, I am comforted to see the identity of an Emorian (I am not sure how we should be called) coming into shape. The present can be one of the defining moments of Emory history, because students, faculty, administration and alumni need to all come together to discuss and decide what it means to be Emory. Therefore, I would like to propose three things for us to discuss: 1. How are these going-to-be-eliminated departments valuable? 2. How can we improve Emory? 3. How is Emory unique?

It may sound cliché or impractical to discuss the values of these departments at risk, but only when the administration, faculty and students truly see and understand the value of these disciplines, will we be able to join forces to preserve and improve them. Being a theater major with a film minor and having experiences in journalism, photography, education and business, I believe one of the key distinctions of a 21st century market is interdisciplinary understanding. To quote the founder of TEDxShanghai, “Arts without business cannot survive, and business without arts cannot thrive.” It would be hard to imagine the success of the iPhone without a sleek design, a business world without Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg, law schools without Teach for America participants, or new digital media without visual arts.

Then how can we use this current challenge as an opportunity to improve Emory? It is a very absurd mentality from the administration that “if this department is not doing well, then let’s cut it and develop what we are good at.” It is as if my arms are too weak, but my legs are strong, then I will amputate my arms and become a 100-meter racer. What they have not looked into is the question of what the problems are that are preventing these departments from excelling? I propose that students, faculty members and administration work together to produce reports for each department that is facing cuts on its past achievements and shortcomings, difficulties it is facing and possible solutions.

To my knowledge, one of the major issues is actually under-funding. Some of the departments that are going to be cut are extremely under-funded to be able to even produce a substantial amount of quality work. I wish that the Emory Wheel could investigate and publish the annual budget for each department that is going to be eliminated. Of course, the administration can argue that the economy is still in recession and tough calls need to be made. But there are so many possible cost-effective alternatives to improve these departments. It is now time for the administration to acknowledge that these departments have the potential to make Emory into one of the best universities in the world. It would be a shame if the administration threw this opportunity away and it would only show its incompetence if it does.

For example, CNN is in Atlanta. This fact alone should have made Emory a national destination for journalism majors. However, when I had my internship at CNN in the summer of 2009, to my knowledge, I was the only one from Emory out of 70 interns. Collaboration between the two institutions can be very exciting. Emory can develop journalism-training programs with CNN, and even student mentorship programs with established CNN journalists. With the economic recession, CNN is producing more local news to scale down traveling expenses. This is a great opportunity for Emory to be in the national spotlight. Emory can share its resources with CNN by providing expert commentary or workshops.

Savannah College of Arts and Design (SCAD) is one of the best design schools in the country. Emory could have started a partnership with SCAD like Brown with Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) or Columbia with Juilliard. Emory has gained national recognition with its bioengineering program through a collaborating effort with Georgia Tech, the same could be done with the visual arts.

With this partnership, Emory can host architecture and interior design majors and this will surely attract many competitive applicants.

All these possibilities lead to the final question: How is and how should Emory be unique? I think two major problems with Emory’s current administration are the focus on short-term investment return and the lack of a clear vision.

College education needs to focus on the long-term development of a human being rather than a student’s first job, first-year salary or the prospects of securing donations. It does not matter if a student is business major, science major, humanities major or arts major, we must understand and appreciate all these disciplines. This is how general arts education was founded. Many of the students I know have felt that Emory has invested a lot more efforts in business and science than humanities and the arts. This could be how Emory distinguishes itself, but what it has forgotten is that what the 21st century business values the most is creativity, humanity and culture. After Facebook, what is next?

Emory should change for the better. I am glad but surprised by the proposal of a new Contemporary Chinese Studies program to replace these departments.

As a Chinese international student myself, this decision confuses me greatly. Emory’s affiliation with the Dalai Lama has hindered its relationship with China for a long time, and Emory’s official website is often blocked in China. The Chinese department is not one of Emory’s strongest departments.

Why China now? Is it just because everyone is talking about the rise of China? But how is Emory going to compete with other already-established schools? How will Emory approach this topic from a unique angle? However, I do believe this program has great potential.

The coexistence of a Tibetan program and a Chinese program can open dialogues and discussions, and mark Emory as an inquiry-driven and ethically engaged school. But first, Emory needs to have a clear vision of what it wants to become.

Emory has always claimed to be ethically engaging. I was an avid issues troupe member and a Brotherhood of Afrocentric Men (BAM) step dancer, and the founder of Emory Chinese Theater Club. Still, it was very rare for me to be involved in any discussions on race, gender, religion or ethics during my four years in college.

I am proud to see the whole student community start engaging in these discussions after the SAT scandal and the Three-Fifths Compromise remarks these past few months. What I fear is that the whole Emory community will quickly break into different opinion camps and stop listening to or further challenging each other.

It is time for the administration to show us a clear vision of where Emory is going. I think Emory’s administration, faculty and alumni should stand up now and pursue these discussions even further along with the students.

It is through this process that we start to form and shape the identity of Emory. It is through this process that we start to build a community. I wish this is how I will remember my alma mater, for this is the Emory where I will always belong.

Wencong Chen is a recent graduate of Emory University from China.