Noyonika Parulekar, Contributing

The 53rd Student Government Association (SGA) appointed two students to the University Senate and three associate justices to the Constitutional Council. 

Aman Mavani (23C) and Logan Luczek (22C) were appointed to the University Senate after unanimous confirmation by 11 votes. Mavani said that he wanted to draw on his experiences with community service to implement change at the college level.

“I applied to SGA because, historically, I have taken initiative in a lot of community service projects,” Mavani said. 

Luczek currently serves as the vice president of programming for College Council (CC). 

“I work mostly as a vessel of the student voice into governmental organizations like SGA and College Council,” Luczek said, adding that he hopes to “transfer his skills” as a senator. Among the initiatives that he promotes as part of CC include advocating for the creation of an accredited course for American Sign Language. 

Ben Thomas (23C), Pavel Ramirez (23C) and Sarah Gordon (22C) were confirmed unanimously as associate judges on the Constitutional Council. 

Thomas expressed a possible career in public interest and constitutional law. Ramirez, an ROTC cadet, attributes his passion for public service to his experience with juvenile court. He expressed distaste for existing student governing documents, saying, “I had a huge blast reading the Constitution … and [the] Finance Code, and all of it’s really bad.” 

Gordon said she will be level-headed and aim for stability as an associate judge.

“I think it’s really, really important that Emory students have a reliable, stable resource to go to when they adjudicate disputes,” said Gordon.

Tanika Deuskar (22C) is from Bangalore, India. She intends to double major in Biology and Creative Writing. She loves jogging, listening to podcasts, and eating spicy food.