Content warning: This article contains references to rape.

Theft by deception (over $1,500) at Clairmont Campus

On Oct. 13, a student residing at Emory University’s Clairmont Residential Center Building E reported that they were contacted again by fraudsters conducting a scam, the latest in a series of messages they had been receiving for two months. The scammers took advantage of the student’s immigration status, g through threats of being forced to emigrate unless the student made two payments to them which would compromise the student’s legal status and academic standing. The student ultimately made these payments before contacting the Emory Police Department (EPD). 

This case is under active investigation. EPD Captain Leigh Vaughn said that they are continuing to work with the student and the student’s bank provider to recoup the damages. EPD is also working with the FBI on this case, as it involves international law. 

In fraud cases such as these, the likelihood of the victim recouping their losses varies on a case-by-case basis, Vaughn said.

Rape

On Oct. 13, an anonymous female student reported being raped. The student said that the rape occurred three days earlier on the Atlanta campus. No other details were disclosed. 

In an anonymous report of rape, the survivor has the final say on whether to keep their identity protected or to come forward to prosecute. Prosecution and seeking Title IX protections involves disclosing who the accuser and the accused are to the courts, Vaughn said.

For now, the accuser remains anonymous, so further action on this case is unlikely unless the accuser shares their name.

Courtesy of Emory University

Sexual battery

A patient reported sexual battery at Budd Terrace, a nursing center at Wesley Woods Hospital, on Oct. 5. The case is under active investigation, so many details are sensitive and remain classified. The male patient at the nursing home said that he was assaulted by a staff member in the report. The male patient has since checked out of the Budd Terrace facility, but the employment status of the accused staff member is unknown. The male patient is not an Emory student and does not have access to Title IX protections. 

“In the state of Georgia, rape is defined as ‘having carnal knowledge of a woman,’ and so when a sexual assault happens to man, it is considered sexual battery,” Vaughn said. “It is a difference in how the law is written.”

Under Georgia law, rape is a felony with a mandatory minimum sentencing of 25 years, while sexual battery is a misdemeanor and only becomes a felony with sentencing of five to 10 years for repeat offenses or for sexual battery against a minor. 

Two counts of entering an auto at Emory University Hospital valet parking 

On Oct. 11, two instances of entering an automobile were reported within hours of each other at the valet parking services at Emory Hospital. 

The first break-in involved an automobile owned by a patient who used the valet services. The victim reported having $67 in the vehicle when they dropped off the car at the valet service, but upon picking up their car, had found the money missing. 

The second break-in occurred to a different patient using the valet services that same day. The victim reported having two $20 bills hidden deep in the center console. When the victim went to pick up their vehicle, one of the $20 bills was missing, and the other was on top of the central console, clearly moved. 

This is an active case, so further details cannot be disclosed. However, Vaughn stated that both of these cases have been assigned to an investigator. 

Burglary, first degree, non-forcible entry at Dobbs Hall 

A student residing in Dobbs Hall called EPD and reported that his laptop was stolen on Oct. 7. The student alleged that another resident came into his dorm room while he was away and stole the laptop. 

The same student called EPD again a few hours later to inform them that the laptop was “actually in his backpack the entire time” and that no crime took place. The crime has since been labeled as “unfounded” on the EPD Daily Crime Log. 

Impersonating a public official at the Emory National Primate Research Center 

On Oct. 4, a researcher at the Emory National Primate Research Center — previously named the Yerkes Primate Research Center, as listed in the EPD Daily Crime Log — received a call from scammers. An individual claimed to be from a fictional government agency and demanded personal information from the researcher, with threats of legal action if the researcher did not cooperate. The researcher began to grow suspicious, at which point a second individual claiming to be with the police insisted that the researcher give up this information, saying, “Do as we say or you’ll be arrested.” The researcher did not tell the scammers any information, and instead immediately reported the call to EPD. 

EPD Communications Director Morieka Johnson (94C) noted that spreading awareness of the risk of fraud and best practices when being contacted by scammers remains a high priority for EPD. 

“As we head into the holiday season and people get distracted, be even more vigilant about your information and your valuables,” Johnson said. “We’re available 24/7.”

Andrew Roisenberg (he/him) (23C) is from Livingston, New Jersey, majoring in finance and OAM. Outside of the Wheel, Roisenberg is a member of the Emory fencing and chess clubs. He previously interned for FTI Consulting, doing financial communications work. He loves coffee and movies.