The top-ranked Emory’s women’s tennis team (18-3) suffered an upset at the hands of Middlebury College (Vt.) this weekend but rebounded to beat Skidmore College (N.Y.) and Bowdoin College (Maine) the following days.

On Friday, April 15, the Eagles fell to Middlebury 5-4 despite being up 4-3 going into the last two singles matches of the contest.

The team of sophomore Anna Fuhr and freshman Daniela Lopez could not overcome their competition, losing their No. 1 doubles match 8-6. The squad of sophomore Bridget Harding and junior Katarina Su, however, rebounded with their eighth straight doubles victory, winning 9-7 in their No. 2 matchup. In the No. 3 doubles matchup, the team of juniors Michelle Satterfield and Paula Castro could not prevail, losing 9-8.

Harding was defeated in heart-breaking fashion in a third set tiebreaker 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4) in her No. 1 singles court matchup. Satterfield (6-1, 6-2) and freshman Taylor Cosme (4-6, 6-4, 6-3) were both able to prevail in their No. 2 and No. 3 singles courts, respectively.

Senior Beatrice Rosen lost her No. 4 singles match 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2 in a similar manner, Harding in the third set. Su lost her singles matchup 6-3, 6-0 in her No. 5 singles court. Senior Madison Gordon prevailed 6-2, 6-0 in her No. 6 singles court.

“[Middlebury] played very well,” Gordon said. “It definitely gave us the opportunity to look and see what our weakest points are in order to improve them for nationals.”

The following afternoon, the Eagles rebounded to blank Skidmore 9-0.

The same doubles teams played in Saturday afternoon’s match, but they fared much better in their results. The team of Fuhr and Lopez won 8-4 in their No. 1 doubles court match, the team of Harding and Su won 8-1 in their No. 2 doubles court and the team of Satterfield and Castro won 8-0 in their No. 3 doubles court.

Like the doubles pairings, the six singles competitors rebounded in a big way against the Thoroughbreds.

Harding won 6-1, 6-2 on the No. 1 singles court, and Satterfield won her No. 2 singles court 7-6 (3), 6-1. Cosme and Rosen each won 6-3, 6-2 on their No. 3 and No. 4 singles courts, respectively. Gordon won 6-0, 6-0 on the No. 5 singles court and Castro won 6-2, 6-1 on the No. 6 singles court.

The next afternoon, Sunday, April 18, the Eagles continued their dominance, beating No. 6 Bowdoin 8-1.

Fuhr and Lopez dropped the No. 1 doubles court 8-2 for the only game lost for the Eagles on the afternoon, but the teams of Su and Harding and Castro and Satterfield rebounded in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles courts, respectively, winning both of their matches with ease.

Harding and Su have now won their 10th straight doubles match together.

“We’re feeling really good right now and our dynamic is getting us through these matches right now,” Harding said. “Her and I have a really good relationship on and off the court.”

Harding won the No. 1 singles court 4-6, 6-2, 6-4; Satterfield won the No. 2 singles court 6-0, 6-1; Cosme won the No. 3 singles court 6-1, 6-2; Rosen won the No. 4 singles court 6-0, 6-2; Gordon won the No. 5 singles court 6-3, 6-1; and Castro won the No. 6 singles match 6-2, 6-3.

“I feel really confident in our team right now, but I’m glad we have a week of practice before our conference tournament to tighten up some loose strings,” Gordon said.

After all three days of play, Rosen moved into a tie for sixth place all time in Emory’s history with 78 overall singles wins. Gordon tied an Emory wins record, too, with current Head Coach Amy Bryant, for ninth place all time with 76 overall singles wins.

“I don’t really keep tabs on my wins, but it’s personally an amazing accomplishment,” Gordon said. “Coach Bryant was an outstanding athlete at Emory, and I’m honored to be up there with her.”

Emory is now 20-4 on the year. The team will compete next at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships in Orlando, Fla.  on Friday, April 22.

Avery Yang is a College sophomore from Los Angeles, California, by way of New York City.