Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Women's Team Ties KSU

The Emory women’s soccer team played a fantastic game Tuesday when they tied Division I Kennesaw State University 1-1 in double overtime.

Sophomore midfielder Melissa Ardizzone scored early in the first half to give the Eagles their only goal. The goal was Ardizzone's career first, as well as the first Eagle goal in six games.

The Eagles held Kennesaw State scoreless almost the entire game. The Owls managed a point when freshman midfielder Jackie Grey scored a goal for them. Senior goalkeeper Liz Arnold, who almost blocked the shot, played one of the most impressive games of her career, tying her career high with eight saves.

The Owls seemed to outplay the Eagles during regulation, shooting 24 to the Eagles’ nine. However, Emory improved in overtime by outshooting Kennesaw State 6-2 with a 3-0 margin in shots on goal.

The young Eagles have been struggling in recent games. After starting out the season 7-2, Emory has not had a win in the past six games, including four divisional games.

Now, with an impressive tie behind them, the team is looking to get back on track. Emory now faces three straight University Athletic Association (UAA) schools at home to close out the 2015 regular season. The Eagles will play Brandeis University (Mass.) on Friday evening at 5 p.m. and then match up against New York University Sunday morning.