The Emory women’s soccer team extended their undefeated streak with wins over Case Western Reserve (Ohio) and the University of Rochester (N.Y.), 5-0 and 2-0 respectively. The Eagles now sit at 10-0-3 on the season (3-0-1 UAA). With the two victories, the team maintains its No. 1 ranking for the second straight week.

“Being nationally ranked No. 1 is a testament to the players’ hard work and their consistency on the field. It is nice to be recognized for their hard work,” Head Coach Sue Patberg said. “Having said that, we all realize that this is only the coaches’ poll and this must be kept at the forefront at all times.”

In the Oct. 12 contest, the Eagles brought the pressure against Case Western Reserve in their most dominant UAA effort thus far, netting three goals in the first half and two in the second.

The Eagles began their offensive barrage in the 18th minute, when junior forward Veronica Romero netted her sixth goal of the season from the 18-yard box.

“V [Veronica] has so many subtleties about her game that make her so dangerous in front of the net,” Patberg said. “She has a very lethal game and has great off-ball movements.”

In the 30th minute, senior forward Katy Kruse netted the first of her two goals in the game. Sophomore forward Emily Feldman deflected senior midfielder Lee Bachouros’ corner kick towards Kruse, who kicked it in. Kruse notched her fifth goal of the season in the 42nd minute on a give-and-go from freshman midfielder Jordan Morell.

The strong offensive play of the Eagles extended through the second half: junior midfielder Clare Mullins ripped a shot 25 yards away for her fourth goal of the season.

Feldman scored the Eagles’ fifth goal of the game, lifting a ball inside the 18-yard box over the keeper’s head in the 79th minute for her second goal this season.

“I was really happy with our play overall,” Patberg said. “Any time you are able to score five goals against any UAA opponent is great.”

The Eagles dominated the Spartans in the box score, outshooting Case Western 19-6 with nine shots on goal to Case Western’s two. The Eagles’ dominated corner kick opportunities seven to one.

On Oct. 14, the Eagles held their annual senior day game versus the Rochester Yellow Jackets, paying tribute to the four years of terrific effort and dedication of Lee and midfielder Merril Bachouros, defender Ashley Kaiser, Kruse, and goalkeepers Kaele Leonard and Erica Stein.

“It was a very emotional day and was really inspiring to play with all the seniors,” Bachouros said.

The offense came to life in the second half with two goals, but it was the persistence of the defensive unit which allowed Emory to harness its second straight win, giving up a mere four total shots.

“This is not a group that sits home and only defends. They bring the pressure against the other team and always need to be tracked by their opponent,” Patberg said.

In the 55th minute, Morell fed junior midfielder Kelly Costopoulos a beautiful cross from the near side into the six-yard boss, where she netted her team, co-leading its sixth goal. It was Morell’s second assist of the season.

The Eagles extended their lead in the 76th minute, when Feldman scored off of Bachouros’ deflected shot for her third goal of the season.

Leonard earned the clean sheet, improving her record to 5-0-3 in the 2012 campaign.

The Eagles dominated the Yellow Jackets in all aspects of the game, including racking up an incredible 37 shots to the Yellow Jacket’s four.

Throughout the 2012 season the Eagles have outscored their opponents 42-7, as well as outshooting them 337-64. They have big plans for the conference tournament, as well as the Division III playoffs.

“We have to make sure we are getting better during training session and every game. We have to be able to solve tactical things other teams throw at us and make in-game adjustments,” Patberg said.

The Eagles’ played their final home game of the season against Lee University (Tenn.) with a double overtime 1-1 tie.

By Drew Heuman-Gutman