Emory University Statement
President Jim Wagner and Emory College Dean Robin Forman are meeting with a representative group of students on Dec. 7 to continue a conversation that began at a meeting in the President’s Office earlier this week.
- The meeting agenda will include a review of points agreed upon at the Dec. 4 meeting:
- Emory’s continuing and future eminence will depend on pursuing “focused distinctions,” not the “lifting of all boats.”
- Cuts will likely be necessary in any reallocation plan for Emory College of Arts and Sciences to invest more in opportunities for eminence.
- Students should have some input into how ECAS meets student needs and wants.
- Faculty input has been crucial and should be ensured going forward.
- The president supports the authority of the dean to make the decisions he did.
- Constructive interaction will be necessary going forward to shape the implementation for future plans.’
The agenda also will include a review by Emory College Dean Forman of the process and bases for the decisions and a discussion of a list of student concerns. The president and dean are looking forward to fostering a deeper understanding of how these decisions were reached and to a productive discussion of the ways in which students, faculty and administrators can continue to work together to implement the Emory College Plan over the next four years.