It’s hard to write about the rainbows and the bubbles when terrible things happen in the world. I suppose somewhere or other there is always something terrible happening in the world, but true to the tune of #firstworldproblems, it is all too often all too easy to kvetch about the breeze or the rain, isn’t it?

When terrible things happen close to home, when bombings in Boston spark racist slurs in every possible direction, demonstrating the deep and often less subtle prejudices that we hold within our global culture, I can’t write about the clouds.

I suppose the trouble is that there isn’t much for me, barely even a bystander, to say. This isn’t the place for a news roundup, so I encourage you to do your own research about what happened on Monday morning at the Boston marathon. My heart opens to those of you who know too well.

Through turbulence on our campus, we open avenues of dialogue and debate. Through American tragedy, we stand together to support our fellows for whom we may be able to provide no more than a hand or a hug or a smile. There is always something we can do for another, for the conversation, for the future. Stand up this week. For Boston – or for something. But stand.

By Chloe Olewitz