Anyone who knows me knows that I love – and have always loved – Hillary Clinton. And now, it seems, others are starting to embrace their love for Hillary, too. Recently, the Secretary of State received a lot of attention after two of her fans created a blog called “Texts from Hillary Clinton,” which featured a photo of Secretary Clinton onboard a jet, sunglasses on, Blackberry out, texting snarky replies to various celebrities including Ryan Gosling, Meryl Streep and Jon Stewart. The site was so popular that Secretary Clinton herself posted a submission, prompting the creators to close up shop, as they admitted: “As far as memes go – it has gone as far as it can go,” they said. “Is it really possible to top a submission from the Secretary herself? No.”

But it seems like this recent boost in Hillary lovin’ hasn’t gone as far as it can go quite yet. On Sunday, images surfaced of the Secretary dancing and drinking beer at Café Havana in Cartagena, Colombia while at the Sixth Summit for the Americas. While conservatives have done what conservatives do best (besides trying to make everyone straight, unhappy, or housewives) and blew the issue out of proportion, many others – and especially young people – are embracing her for being herself.

Some bloggers have pointed to the changing culture of American politics – that women are now more accepted as powerful political leaders – as a catalyst for all of the positive attention afforded to Ms. Clinton as of late. Others say that the Secretary has gotten looser and more relaxed; she can laugh at herself. She’s embracing her dorkiness, or she’s finally escaped the shadow of Bill. But you know what? I think Hillary is just being Hillary. And Hillary doesn’t give a f–k.

Hillary didn’t give a f–k in 1992 when she said, “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life,” in response to criticism that when Bill was governor he had unfairly favored the law firm at which she was a partner. She didn’t give a f–k in 2007 when Robin Givhan of the Washington Post wrote an article about the state of her cleavage on the Senate floor. She didn’t give a f–k in 2008 when she was criticized for being too manly, too aggressive and too tough. Now, she’s arguably the most powerful woman in the world, and we find her attitude charming, cool and real.

So here I am to offer my own two cents of why she’s been so popular lately: she’s the most amazing woman on Earth. I kid (not really, and although I do agree with a lot of the discourse that’s already been offered across the internet, I think part of the reason for the recent shift in opinion is that Hillary is no longer a threat. She has already announced that if Obama wins a second term, she won’t serve as his Secretary of State. She’s also already stated that she won’t run for president in 2016 to which half of us lament, “Why, Hillary, why?!” and the other half remain staunchly in denial. Her opponents and other conservative crazies have turned most of their attention away from her and on to dreaming up reasons why Obama is a socialist or a Muslim or from outer space. Or to fighting amongst themselves.

It also seems that Democrats disenchanted with Obama and his more moderate ways are looking to Hillary for an iron fist and a dose of liberal politics. Back in October, Time Magazine conducted a poll that pitted her in a race against Mitt Romney and one versus Rick Perry (it was in October, okay?). Not only did she come away with a victory against both candidates, but she did better than President Obama.

While I’m ecstatic that others are drinking the Hillary Clinton Kool-aid – and yes, it’s delicious – I hope her popularity will continue to grow, and not just for her lightheartedness, but for her successful policy initiatives as Secretary of State as well. Not to play the role of a political hipster (oxymoron?), but I liked her before she was cool. I joke because any Hillary supporter – from 1992, 2000, 2008 or 2012 – is a friend of mine.

In the 2008 election, Florida moved its Democratic primaries up to January, rather than their usual March. As a result, the votes from Florida were disputed and discounted, and I never got to vote for Hillary (I didn’t turn 18 until February). I’m hoping that 2016 will finally give me my chance. After all, it would be the cool thing to do.

Senior Editor Gina Chirillo is a College senior from Sarasota, Fla.

4/16/2012