I wrote and submitted to my editors an entire introduction paragraph where I ranted on about how awful a human being Roger Goodell is, how he was just holding out to get revenue, etcetera. But I did mention how I believed that there was a chance that the lockout could end if the owners decided that it was too risky to jeopardize the success of their team for some couch change, and get the referees back. Which they did, wisely so if I may add.

Now, I wonder if people will have any respect for the actual referees. I would like to remind people about Ed Hochuli and how he was legitimately crucified a few years ago. But that is irrelevant. I personally am very happy that the referees are back, because this means that my Jets will have the opportunity to lose due to their inability to play football, and without the assistance of inadequate referee-work.

By the way did anyone notice the article about the lingerie league commissioner cutting a referee who ended up being part of the replacement crew [editor’s note: see On Fire]?

He tried to make it seem as though the NFL hired someone who couldn’t even cut it in his joke league. Please. Let’s be honest for two seconds. I would invite any teenage male to go out on the field with a whistle and try to referee a lingerie league game. You tell me whether you are focused on illegal contact down field or not. And now, we go to the picks.

New England Patriots at BUFFALO BILLS

If anyone could have been able to predict that the Patriots would be worse in terms of their respective records than the Bills, I would have probably called EMS. But here we are today, and the Patriots are coming off of two crushing losses, whereas the Bills have rebounded from an opening-day shellacking by the New York Jets.

The problem is not the New England offense, as people would probably assume after the recent loss of Aaron Hernandez. It is their young defense. Last week against Baltimore, Joe Flacco, who by the way is one of the most overrated, absolutely atrocious quarterbacks in the league, carved up their defense like Peyton Manning against a Pop Warner team.

Conversely, the Buffalo Bills, although 2-0 have gone through every running back in the greater Erie County area. The Patriots will probably be sitting on the pass all day long, and I do not believe that Tom Brady will start off the season 1-3.

Unfortunately, I am picking the New England Patriots for this one. Fantasy-wise, do not sleep on Buffalo’s Tashard Choice. The Bills’ run offense has been pretty spectacular this year, and I could see him thriving.

New England Patriots 34 BUFFALO BILLS 17

Carolina Panthers at ATLANTA FALCONS

How about them Falcons? It seems like each week we look for them the regress, and they just never do. Matt Ryan is clicking with his wide receivers, the running game has gotten the job done in terms of red zone efficiency, and the defense has been solid in keeping the points off the board. It seems as if their biggest problem is keeping their players out of jail. First it was Michael Turner being TDTC (too drunk to care), and now its John Abraham obstructing police and firefighters, because, you know, that’s probably the right thing to do in any situation. Mike Smith needs to get his players under control. Unfortunately for the Panthers, all is not well in their camp either.

After an emotional win against New Orleans, the Panthers got whipped by the Giants, and Cam Newton was caught sulking on the sideline as if his mom had taken away his video games. Teammates, including veteran Steve Smith, have called him out on that behavior, and only time will tell if this situation rectifies itself. Regardless, the Falcons are coming out with the W.

With the probable loss of John Abraham for this game, I will have to go against my number one rule and say look at the Panthers’ running backs. They will be racking up the points.

ATLANTA FALCONS 24 Carolina Panthers 13

New Orleans Saints at GREEN BAY PACKERS

So there is a conspiracy theory circulating around which says Sean Payton is having no contact with his team, and the Saints are planning on throwing the season. Then, they will capitalize on their first high draft pick in recent memory and ride the tide to the playoffs once again. I am a firm believer in that theory.

The NFL is way to intricate for a team to be run by an interim coach for the previous interim coach. Sean Payton is a great coach, and it has been shown by the poor product that New Orleans has put on the field.

However, it seems as though Aaron Rodgers has been figured out. Teams have been playing a two-deep zone, meaning both safeties roam over the top as the cornerbacks play man-to-man defense. Rodgers, for some reason, has proven to be oblivious to the safeties, and this has led to his regression this season. Another reason? His offensive line is as difficult to get through at the bouncer at “Maggies.” Every week I have called for the Saints to come out energized; I’m hoping this is the week they back me up. Fantasy-wise, look at Marques Colston. He has zero touchdowns this season; I think that will change this week.

New Orleans Saints 38 GREEN BAY PACKERS 34

New York Giants at PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

What an amazing Sunday night match-up. These two teams absolutely hate each other, which will make for a very interesting game after the whistle.

The Giants have been offensively unstoppable, averaging over 30 points and 420 yards per game. However, their defense has given up a lot of yards, creating shootouts that are fun for fans, not for coaches.

The Eagles have scored the second-least points per game, with a measly 15.7. However, their pass defense has been phenomenal, and this has kept their games close with Michael Vick fumbling and bumbling his way around the field.

This will be an interesting game because of the rivalry; however in reality, I do not believe that the Eagles stand much of a chance. With Desean Jackson questionable, look at Damaris Johnson to potentially have a big impact against the weak New York Giants secondary.

New York Giants 31 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 20

I am aware that in my introduction I noted how the home team has been successful, then I went on to pick three road teams to win out of the four games I picked. But it is my gut feeling, and I’m sticking to it. As usual, stay safe and enjoy the weekend.

Last week: 3-2 Overall 7-5

By Jayson Patel

Editor’s note: These decisions were picked before the paper went to press.