10.17 swimming

Senior Hayden Baker swims the butterfly at the annual Intrasquad Blue-Gold meet last Friday. Baker and the Eagles take on the University of North Carolina-Wilmington this Sunday for the program’s parents weekend. / Photo courtesy of Emory Athletics

In preparation for their first intercollegiate meet of the season against the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams participated in the intrasquad Blue-Gold meet last Friday, which split both squads into two teams.

The Gold team won on the women’s side with a score of 158.5-134.5, while there was a rare tie between Blue and Gold on the men’s side with an even score of 130-130.

Although the times at the intrasquad meet do not count towards NCAA qualification, there were a number of athletes that recorded ‘B’ cut times.

“This is one of the most talented groups I’ve ever seen,” senior McKenna Newsum-Schoenberg said. “Not only talented in the water, but also willing to work hard to get the best times and to carry on Emory swimming and diving.”

‘B’ cut times were recorded from men’s team junior Andrew Wilson in both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke, and women’s team sophomore Claire Liu in the 100-yard backstroke, Newsum-Schoenberg in the 200-yard fly and freshman Ming Ong in both the 200-yard freestyle and individual.

“This meet is a bit of a challenge,” Newsum-Schoenberg said. “It’s our first one, so we only have a couple weeks of practice under our belts. At the first event people set the bar really high and people kept with the pace from there on out.”

Contributing to the Gold women’s team victory were wins from Newsum-Schoenberg (1000 Free and 500 Free), sophomore Annelise Kowalsky (100 and 200 Breast), freshman Mara Rosenstock (1- and 3-meter dives) and the 400-medley relay team of freshmen Cindy Cheng, Megan Campbell, Kowalsky and Liu.

“Everyone did so well that it makes me excited to see what our team is going to accomplish this season,” Liu said.

Adding to the Blue women’s team score were wins from Marcela Sanchez-Aizcorbe (100 Fly) and the 400-yard freestyle relay team of sophomore Marissa Bergh, freshman Julia Wawer, senior Nancy Larson and Ong.

Contributing to the Gold men’s team score were wins from freshman Oliver Smith (50 Free), freshman Alexander Hardwick (100 Free) sophomore Mitchell Cooper (100 Free), sophomore Christian Baker (200 Free), Wilson (200 IM), and the 200-yard medley relay team of junior John Galvin, Cooper, Wilson and Hardwick.

Winners for the Blue men’s team included freshman Brandon Shinsato (100 Back), freshman Henry Copses (500 Free), junior Jared Scheuer (200 Back), senior Hayden Baker (100 & 200 Fly) and the 400-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Wes Duke, sophomore David Tao, sophomore Hayes Burdette-Sapp and senior Hayden Baker.

“We have a good strong group and at this point our goal is to keep getting better moving forward,” Head Coach Jon Howell said.

The Emory swimming and diving team opens its season at noon this Saturday, Oct. 18 hosting University of North Carolina-Wilmington for the Emory Swimming and Diving Family Weekend.

– By Jenny Nutovits, Staff Writer