Senior forward Alex Foster reaches for a layup. Foster and the Eagles improved their overall record to 13-3 after they beat Case Western University (Ohio) and Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) this past weekend. | Photo Courtesy of Emory Athletics.

The Emory University men’s basketball team walked away from this past weekend with a pair of decisive conference victories. The Eagles defeated Case Western University (Ohio) Friday and Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) Sunday, bringing their record to 13-3 on the season, 3-2 in University Athletic Association (UAA) play.

Case was a stout 12-2 with a 3-0 University Athletic Association (UAA) record entering the game, and the first half showed it, with the Eagles clinging to a 38-35 lead. But, the second half separated the two teams. The Eagles outscored the Spartans 40-30 in the second half to claim a 13-point victory.

“Whenever you can beat the team on top of the conference, you know it was a good game,” Head Coach Jason Zimmerman said post-game.

Senior forward Alex Foster stood out among his teammates during the Case Western game. Foster lead the team, finishing with a game high 24 points, on an efficient 7-14 shooting night, including hitting four of his six three-pointers.

“This was a tough game that we came out a little slow in, but we stayed together as a team and came out won the game in the second half,” Foster said.

The Eagles ended up winning the game 78-65 to improve their home record to 8-0.

Senior point guard Mike Florin also chipped in 14 points of his own, with a 6-9 shooting record.

“Alex [Foster] has been unbelievable for us this year,” Florin said. “He’s consistently putting up big numbers shooting and on the glass, while he has really improved defensively. Most of all, he’s been a real leader for us in the locker room this year.”

On Sunday, the Eagles faced Carnegie Mellon, which proved to be a little bit easier. Despite their 10-5 record, the Tartans were clearly dominated by the home team.

The Eagles nearly quadrupled the Tartans in the first half, winning it by a score of 43-11. In the second half, Carnegie Mellon actually outscored the Eagles by six in the second half, but by then, it was too little, too late. The men’s team won by the tally of 79-53.

“The first half was good but not great,”  Zimmerman said. “We came out and struggled to shoot the ball, but we still played well.”

Emory was led by once again by the senior pair of Foster, who dropped 16 points, and Florin, who made 11, with freshman forward Donald Avant adding 10 points off the bench as well.

Anticipating the next games to come, Florin emphasized that the team is going to do their best to take it one game at a time.

“We know our five is as good as theirs, so we just have to go out there and prove it,” he said.

Emory will continue their conference season, playing Brandeis University (Mass.) and New York University Friday, Jan. 30, and Sunday, Feb. 1, respectively.

-By Jacob Durst, Staff Writer