The women’s tennis team, ranked third nationally, faced off with the 11th-ranked DePauw University (Ind.) Tigers this past weekend at the Woodruff P.E. Center.  

After falling to the Tigers in two of the three doubles matches, the Eagles rebounded and won all six singles matches, giving Emory the overall victory 7-2.

With the win over DePauw, Emory improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 record against Division III squads.

Even more impressive, the Eagles have won each of their three games against ranked opponents.

DePauw dropped to 11-3 with the loss, with all three of their losses coming against ranked opponents. Emory is 20-0 all-time against the Tigers.

After a rain delay on Friday afternoon, the doubles matches began, as senior Gabrielle Clark and freshman Katarina Su led the Eagles to an 8-5 first doubles win over the Tigers. After that win, however, the Tigers won the next two doubles matches 9-8 and 8-5 in second and third doubles, respectively, and DePauw went up 2-1 for the day.

In singles play, the Eagles would regroup and dominate, as they won all six matches and claimed the 7-2 victory for the day.

In first spot singles, Clark won 6-1, 6-1, and got Emory back on track. In second spot singles, sophomore Beatrice Rosen won her match 6-2, 6-7, 10-6.

Clark is ranked first in singles play and sixth in doubles play in the Atlantic South Region.

Freshman Michelle Satterfield continued the momentum, winning her match 6-2, 6-2 in third spot singles.

Sophomore Madison Gordon won her fifth spot singles match 6-1, 6-1, and Su rounded out the effort with a 6-4, 6-1 victory in sixth spot singles.

On Friday, the tennis team also sold bracelets to raise money for the Team Riggle Foundation, a non-profit organization started by DePauw Head Coach Scott Riggle.

Team Riggle Foundation raises money and awareness for Parkinson’s disease research and this is the second time in two years that Emory has participated in this charity event.

Additionally, all unsold bracelets were donated back to DePauw so they could be sold at a later date.

Emory was originally scheduled to play again on Monday, March 31, but the game was postponed until Tuesday, April 15.

In the meantime, the Eagles hope to continue their winning ways against a tough opponent this Saturday, April 5, when they host top-ranked Division III school Johns Hopkins University (Md).

– By Ethan Morris