Last Saturday, April 16, the Emory chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) hosted its 46th annual NAACP Image Awards at the Emory University School of Medicine Atrium to honor select Emory students for their service in pursuit of racial justice.

Re-established after a two-year hiatus due to funding constraints, the awards ceremony recognized students for their roles in promoting racial justice, with award categories for a student in each undergraduate class year, a student-athlete, a student-artist and a president of a student organization who accomplished exceptional work furthering social justice causes. College junior Lynette Dixon was recognized with the W.E.B. Du Bois Image Award for best emulating the mission of the NAACP, while student organization Students for Justice in Palestine received the Community Image Award for their service as an organization advocating for people of color.

Roderick Bridges, a former DeKalb County Recorders Court judge, delivered the keynote address. In his speech, Bridges emphasized the role of the individual in bringing about societal change. Student performances, poetry recitations, speeches and the presentation of awards filled out the remainder of the evening.

The NAACP was founded in 1909 with the intent “to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of minority group citizens of United States and eliminate race prejudice” through the democratic process, according to its website. The Emory University charter was granted in 1986, according to the Emory chapter of the NAACP President and College senior Abigail López Rivera.

Emory Life Editor Alisha Compton contributed reporting.

Managing Editor | Sam is a Music Composition and Comparative Literature double major in the C/O 2017. He has been involved with the Wheel since the spring of his freshman year and has been on the Wheel's editorial board since the fall of his sophomore year.