Sophomore right side hitter Sarah Maher (Left) and senior middle hitter Cat McGrath (Right) go up for the block. Maher, McGrath and the Eagles shut down Piedmont College (Ga.) 3-0 on Wednesday to bring their record to 28-3 on the season. | Photo By Jason Oh/Staff

By Elana Cates

This past Wednesday, the sixth-ranked women’s volleyball team defeated the Piedmont College (Ga.) Lions. After the 3-1 win, the Eagles are now 28-3 overall. The first set was close in the beginning, with Piedmont down only 7-10 at one point. But the Eagles then delivered 10 straight kills in a row to gain a 20-7 lead, and ultimately won the set 25-10.

The Lions started the second set on top, 11-7, but the Emory defense stepped up and quickly shut down their offense. The set ended with a 25-15 Emory victory.

Piedmont staved off defeat for a time by keeping the third set close, surviving three match points. The Eagles’ offense, however, was playing better than Piedmont’s and the set concluded at 25-19.

Senior Leah Jacobs outpaced Piedmont’s defense with eight kills, while junior Sydney Miles supported the offense with 29 assists. With 11 digs, senior Kate Bowman led the defense.

This coming weekend the Eagles are celebrating their senior student athletes.

“We are excited to end their careers on our home court with a bang,” Miles said.

With only three matches to go until the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships, the Eagles continue their busy schedule this weekend with the Emory Invitational.

“The team is very excited to get back to playing matches. It’s the last tournament before conference and NCAAs start, so we are ready to make a final statement that will lead us into those,” Miles said.

Bowman also emphasized the importance of this weekend’s games.

“Playing two in region teams is very important for seating going into the NCAA tournament,” Bowman explained. “UMass Boston was also at nationals last year, so we are excited for the competition.”

Games start this afternoon against Berry at 4:30 p.m. and University of Massachusetts-Boston at 7 p.m..

– By Elana Cates, Staff Writer