W soccer 9.23

Senior forward Emily Feldman takes the ball downfield. Feldman and the Eagles defeated Berry College (Ga.) 3-0 and Capitol University (Ohio) 3-1 over the weekend. | Courtesy of Emory Athletics

This past weekend, the No. 6-ranked Emory women’s soccer team continued their undefeated season by winning both of their back-to- back games against Berry College (Ga.) and Capital University (Ohio).

The first match on Saturday, Sept. 20 was against Berry, whom the Eagles beat 2-0 last year. The first half opened with a goal by senior forward Charlotte Butker, assisted by the University Athletic Association (UAA) Player of the Week, senior midfielder Claudia Rowe. Emory started on the offensive, numbering nine shots on goal while Berry only totaled three.

By the middle of the second half, both teams were aggressive as Emory showed nice, clean passes up the middle of the field, but Berry’s defense had improved since the first half.

With eight minutes of play remaining, senior forward Emily Feldman scored the second goal of the game, assisted by sophomore forward Cristina Ramirez.

Seven minutes later, Feldman then assisted Ramirez for the third goal, ending the game with a final score of 3-0.

With another game in less than 24 hours, Head Coach Sue Patberg said that she “wasn’t worried” and that the team “needed to bring more energy tomorrow,” in an interview with Emory Athletics.

During halftime, the 2014 Hall of Fame Induction took place, honoring three former Eagles, including women’s soccer alumna, Annie Schenck (’02C), a first team All-American in 2000 and 2001.

Sunday, Sept. 21 marked the second game of the weekend against the Capital Crusaders, who went to the national semifinals last year.

In the 11th minute of play, senior forward Karina Rodriguez shot from the near side, and the ball went right through the Capital goalkeeper’s hands, marking Rodriguez’s first goal for the season. In the 24th minute, the center referee was injured and the game was stopped.

Capital said they would wait 25 minutes for a new referee to come or they would go home back to Ohio. After a 15 minute break from play, it was decided that the game would continue with only the two remaining referees.

With five minutes left in the first half, senior midfielder Jennifer Grant scored via a pass to the 18-yard box from freshman forward Kaitlyn Dorka.

Four minutes into the second half, freshman Capital defender Chloe Brown intercepted the ball and scored.

Emory bounced back, and, with 18 minutes left in the match, a leading pass into the box from freshman Anna Gurney allowed Rodriguez to score. The game resulted in a 3-1 win.

“Although it’s tough to play two games in one weekend, I personally like it because it gives us a chance to quickly correct the mistakes we made in the first game,” Dorka said.

The Eagles’ next game will be Sept. 27 at Transylvania University (Ky.), and the squad will return at home on Tuesday, Oct. 7 to take on Covenant College (Ga.).

–By Elana Cates