It’s Friday. Finally free of the week’s stresses, you decide to treat yourself with a sandwich at the DUC. The man behind the counter works with patience and care, striking up a conversation with you and giving a glimpse into his life — not only as an employee, but also as an intern and a father.

Brandon Carter has been working at the DUC for the past 19 months. During this time, he said that he has had the opportunity to interact with a variety of students and gained skills he believes will better his children’s lives.

Carter said that he most enjoys working at the deli, where he can interact with students — his favorite part about working at the DUC.

“[I] just enjoy that students come from all walks of life … different nationalities, different ethnic backgrounds [and] different [economic backgrounds],” Carter said. “Usually the students who come from wealthy backgrounds treat us employees like crap. Students who come from [other socioeconomic] backgrounds treat you on the same level. [It’s interesting] to see some of the racial things they grew up with: to see how they address and approach you.”

Born and raised in Atlanta, Carter said that he loves the city’s Southern hospitality, love and respect that other cities lack.

“Southern people have come a long way,” Carter said. “We’re just a lot more appreciative of the things that we have because there used to be a time when we didn’t have anything. That’s where a lot of the Southern hospitality comes from.”

An avid Atlanta Falcons supporter and fantasy football participant, Carter is also an Emory sports fan, attending soccer and lacrosse matches, as well as Emory-hosted special events, such as the Special Olympics this past summer.

Carter juggles working at the DUC with heating and air internships on weekends.

“[Heating and air control] is something that I can teach my kids. [If my kids and I] go to someone’s house and [that family] needs something fixed, I [can] say, ‘Hey, I work in heating and air,’ ” Carter said. “I’m learning something that I can teach my kids for them to be successful and keep.”

Carter expressed excitement that his work at the DUC and his internships recently allowed him to purchase his first house and better support his three children: Alisha, Ariel and Brandon, whom he affectionately calls BJ.

“First house, first home,” Carter said. “I got three kids. I want to show them that [their] father has come a long way.”