The 47th Legislature of the Student Government Association (SGA) voted unanimously to fund new weight-lifting equipment for the Woodruff Physical Education Center (WoodPEC) and to approve revisions to the Media Council Constitution.

College sophomore and SGA Sophomore Representative Michael Lor presented the bill to the Legislature. He said he asked students and members of the WoodPEC staff what equipment they wanted in the WoodPEC.

According to him, students wanted more dumbbells. The bill asks that SGA fund 26 sets of dumbbells of various weights ranging from five pounds to 60 pounds.

Additionally, the bill funds a Magnum multi-adjustable bench and the freight, delivery and installation costs.

In total, the bill asked for $8,776 from SGA’s Fee Interest Account (FIC), which is designated for long-term projects lasting three or more years. The Legislature voted unanimously to fund this amount.

SGA also voted unanimously to revise Media Council’s Constitution. Media Council is a University-wide organization (UWO) that oversees student-produced media like Emory Television (ETV) and Emory’s student-run radio station WMRE.

According to full-time MBA student and SGA Governance Committee Chair David Kaplan, the changes to the Constitution update its language to reflect current practices. For example, SGA updated its chartering bylaws last semester, which the new Media Council constitution now reflects.

He added that Media Council is working on a monetary code separate from the Constitution in order to comply with the new budgeting procedures for University-wide organizations (UWO), which no longer gives UWOs a fixed percentage of the student activities fee — the $89 student activities fee paid each semester by every student — and instead requires UWOs to submit an itemized budget every spring for the following fiscal year. This is known as the fee-split bill.

The Legislature approved the revisions unanimously.

Additionally, College senior and SGA Finance Committee Chair Calvin Lee updated the Legislature on the repairs to McDonough Field, which SGA funded last semester also using the FIC.

The repairs, which started in January, are now complete, he said.

The SGA contingency account has $2,678 remaining in it. This amount will roll over to the 48th Legislature’s contingency account if the 47th Legislature does not reconvene again this year.

– By Rupsha Basu