Bike Trail to Connect Clairmont Campus and Mason Mill Park

EMORY —  Work commenced on a bike trail that will connect Emory’s Clairmont Campus with Mason Mill Park in Decatur, Ga., according to the PATH Foundation, an Atlanta-based nonprofit that develops public trails. Emory plans to financially contribute to the project, which is expected to be completed in 2018, according to an Aug. 28 University press release. The 12-foot wide trail will run from the front gate of Clairmont Campus to the Mason Mill Tennis Center and will be part of the South Peachtree Creek Trail, which currently links Medlock Park to Mason Mill Park to North Druid Hills Road. The path is part of Emory’s 2025 sustainability vision, which seeks to create an on-campus trail network that links to other trails in the metropolitan Atlanta area.

Emory University Hospital Tower Welcomes First Patients

EMORY — The Emory University Hospital Tower on Clifton Road, under construction since 2013, opened to patients Aug. 26. The first patient to enter the facility, 46-year-old Crystal McCollum, was diagnosed with pseudomyxoma peritonei, a rare form of abdominal cancer, and is being treated with chemotherapy, according to an Aug. 30 University press release. The nine-story tower cost $400 million and contains 232 patient beds. The new wing also includes an expansion of the hospital’s diagnostic and treatment spaces, anesthesiology pre-operative services and radiology.  The Tower is expected to open in its entirety by the end of October.

Emory Provides Comcast T.V. Service for On-Campus Residents

EMORY — Xfinity by Comcast became Emory’s on-campus cable services Friday, according to an email sent to all students residing in on-campus housing. The XfinityOnCampus program, which went into effect Sept. 1, allows students living in on-campus housing to stream live television to their mobile devices and laptops, and includes a 20-hour capacity for recording live television programs. The service also includes on-demand access to the content library of premium channels including HBO and Showtime.

MARTA CEO Resigns, Joins Goodwill as CEO

ATLANTA — MARTA CEO and General Manager Keith Parker resigned Tuesday to explore more service opportunities. He plans to remain in Atlanta with his three children, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. After nearly five years spearheading MARTA, Parker will join Goodwill of North Georgia as president and CEO. MARTA has not yet selected a replacement for Parker, and its board will likely announce an interim general manager this week, the AJC reported.

Category 5 Hurricane Irma Could Affect Atlanta Next Week

ATLANTA — Category 5 Hurricane Irma could bring Georgia heavy rains as early as Monday, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Irma is already carrying winds up to 185 mph, and Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have declared states of emergency, the AJC reported. Savannah College of Art and Design (Ga.) announced it will push back the start of its semester by one week due to the storm and will not allow new students to move into their residence halls before Sept. 14.

Emory Down 16 Spots in Higher Education World University Ranking

EMORY — Emory was ranked as the 98th best university in the world by the Times Higher Education World University rankings for the 2017-2018 academic year. Emory fell 16 spots from last year’s rankings, tying Dartmouth College (N.H.), the University of Warwick (England) and the Technical University of Berlin. The rankings included more than 1,000 universities across 77 countries. The Times Higher Education  analyzed 13 performance indicators across five general categories: teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income. On a scale out of 100, Emory received an overall ranking of 60.7, 47.1 in teaching, 40.4 in research, 98.1 in citations, 42.3 in industry outcome and 53.3 in international outlook.

Editor-at-Large | aokluge@emory.edu
Alex Klugerman is a senior from Rockville Maryland in the Goizueta Business School, majoring in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Strategy Management Consulting and Film & Media Management. On the Wheel, he’s previously served as News Editor, Associate Editor and Interim Emory Life Editor. For his coverage of the Migos booking scam, he was selected as a finalist for the Society of Professional Journalist in the Breaking News Reporting category in the 2017 Region 3 Mark of Excellence Awards. He also placed first in the 2017 Georgia College Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest in the category Best News Article Based on Investigative Reporting. Currently, he is involved in the Wheel’s fundraising and planning efforts to commemorate its 100th Anniversary. Outside of the Wheel, Klugerman has interned with CNN in their Mobile + TV Apps product management division and enjoys cycling and travel.

emily.sullivan@emory.edu | Emily Sullivan (18C) is from Blue Bell, Pa., majoring in international studies and minoring in ethics. She served most recently as news editor. Last summer, she interned with Atlanta Magazine. Emily dances whenever she can and is interested in the relationship between journalism and human rights issues.