Thousands of Flights Cancelled Due to Irma

ATLANTA — Thousands of flights scheduled to leave the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport were cancelled as a result of tropical storm Irma, according to The Washington Post. Delta said Monday it had already canceled 900 flights, and Southwest Airlines cancelled all flights scheduled to leave Atlanta after 1 p.m. Monday, according to the official Twitter account for the airport. Irma brought wind speeds that surpassed the operating limits for some aircrafts, according to the Post. While Hartsfield-Jackson remained officially open during the storm, officials encouraged passengers to check regularly for flight cancellations. Wind gusts reached 64 mph at Hartsfield-Jackson, according to National Weather Service Atlanta’s Monday tweet.

Emory’s Atlanta Annexation Delayed

EMORY —  A vote on Emory’s petition to annex into the city of Atlanta was delayed Sept. 5, after DeKalb County officials raised concerns including increased traffic. A panel of arbitrators will evaluate DeKalb County’s objections and make a decision by Oct. 17, according to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution (AJC). If approved, the annexation would add 744 acres to the city of Atlanta, including the University, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, according to the AJC.

Emory Opens New Test Center on Clairmont

EMORY — The Clairmont Campus recently opened a new testing center for students who need accommodations on the third floor of the Student Activity and Academic Center (SAAC), according to a Sept. 6 University press release. The new testing center provides larger spaces for students who need to use wheelchairs or walkers and a private space for students who need extra time or additional technology to take their exams, according to the release. Lynell Cadray, vice provost for the Office of Equity and Inclusion, said in the release the testing space is “all about leveling the playing field for students with disabilities.” The testing center has 85 seats, but students who cannot access the Clairmont Campus may still take their exams in the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts.

Alumna Nominated to U.S. Court of Appeals

EMORY – President Donald J. Trump nominated Judge Elizabeth Branch (94L) to serve as a Circuit Judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, according to a Sept. 7 White House press release. During her time at Emory School of Law, Branch was inducted into the Order of the Coif, served as the notes and comments editor for the “Emory Law Journal” and graduated with distinction. Branch served as a federal law clerk to U.S. District Judge J. Owen Forrester for two years before moving onto private practice at Smith, Gambrell & Russell (SGR), LLP. From 2004 to 2008, Branch served in a senior role in the George W. Bush administration before returning to SGR as a commercial litigation partner. In 2012, Branch became a judge for the Court of Appeals of Georgia and is currently serving on the Emory Board of Visitors through 2018.

Voting in Fall Elections Delayed

EMORY — Voting in fall student government elections opened Sept. 12 at 8 p.m., one day later than the originally scheduled date, due to Orgsync problems, according to Election Board Chair Betty Zhang (20C). Voting is now scheduled to close Sept. 14 at 8 p.m., Zhang said.

Sukhatme Named School of Medicine Dean

EMORY — Vikas P. Sukhatme was appointed the new School of Medicine dean, according to a Sept. 12 University press release. On Nov. 1, Sukhatme will replace Interim Dean David Stephens and serve as Woodruff professor and chief academic officer of Emory Healthcare. Sukhatme completed his bachelor’s degree and doctorate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and received an M.D. from Harvard Medical School (Mass.). He is currently chief academic officer and Harvard faculty dean for academic programs at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, as well as the Victor J. Aresty professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. Sukhatme and his wife founded the nonprofit GlobalCures, which conducts trials for less profitable cancer therapies.

Executive Editor | cyan24@emory.edu
Christina Yan (21B) is from Monmouth Junction, N.J., majoring in business administration. She previously served as assistant news editor and news editor. She won a 2018 Mark of Excellence Award from the Society of Professional Journalists in the General News Reporting category for her coverage of Emory Law Professor Paul J. Zwier II’s use of the N-word in class and also placed as a finalist in the same category for her investigation of the 2018 Student Government Association elections. Outside the Wheel, she is an academic fellow, QTM100 lab assistant and a member of Emory China Care's marketing team. In her spare time, she enjoys flexing on others with her ability to eat spicy food.