It can be hard trying to cook food at college when you don’t have a kitchen, especially your freshmen year. However, there are many food options and recipes that can make you feel like a chef without any proper cooking equipment. Here are some recipes that you can make in your dorm room with a microwave, basic supplies and the right ingredients.
(Note: Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.)

1. Chocolate Cake in A Mug

Cake in cup. Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Chocolate cake in a mug. Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Ingredients:

2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 small egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp canola oil

Instructions:

Crack the egg in the mug and mix with a fork. Then add all of the wet ingredients and mix together. Then add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Microwave for 2.5-3 minutes and let cool before eating.

2. Egg in A Nest

Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Egg in a nest. Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Ingredients:

1 slice of bread
1 egg
Cookie cutter or knife

Instructions:

Cut a hole in the center of your bread. Crack the egg into the hole. Microwave for a minute at medium power, then in 20-second intervals until the egg is cooked the way you want.

3. Easy Challah French Toast

Challah french toast. Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.

Ingredients

2 slices of bread (preferably challah but anytime of bread will work)
1 egg
¼ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon for taste (optional)

Instructions:

Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, tear the slices of bread into pieces to fill the bowl. Drizzle the wet ingredient mixture over the bread. Microwave for two minutes, or until it is no longer runny. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

4. Egg Drop Soup

Egg drop  soup. Courtesy of  Flickr Creative Commons

Egg drop soup. Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Ingredients:

Miso Soup
Rice Noodles
1 egg

Instructions:

Cook/prepare the miso soup according to the instructions (depending on the type you are using). Microwave the soup until it is close to boiling (should be very hot). Crack the egg into the soup and stir until the little ribbons of egg have cooked. Add rice noodles to the hot soup and wait (according to the time indicated on the box) for them to cook.

— By Hayley Silverstein, Asst. Student Life Editor

hayley.ann.silverstein@emory.edu | Hayley Silverstein (18C) is from Atlanta, majoring in French and on the pre-med track. She joined the Wheel the fall of her freshman year as assistant student life editor and served most recently as senior editor. Hayley is involved in clinical research for Emory School of Medicine’s Division of General Medicine and Geriatrics and is a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon.