Photo courtesy of Mike Mozart/Flickr

DeKalb County police are looking for a man who unsuccessfully attempted to rob the Emory Village CVS Pharmacy on North Decatur Road on July 6.

Standing at the checkout line, the suspect demanded that a store employee hand over cash from a customer’s money order transaction, according to a police incident report. When the employee refused to give him the cash, the suspect held his hand under his shirt as if he had a weapon.

The man said, “You think I’m playing with you? I said give me the money,” according to the employee.

The cashier again refused to give the man cash. The man then walked to a customer standing near the self-checkout kiosks and demanded that she give him money, but she refused.

The suspect then attempted to grab a cash drawer from an employee, but was unsuccessful and fled the store.

The suspect did not take any money from CVS or customers.

The Emory Police Department (EPD) assisted the DeKalb County Police Department in searching for the suspect and assessing the safety of the surrounding area, but they did not find the suspect.

Emory said it did not issue an alert for the incident because witnesses indicated the suspect did not have a weapon.

“Witnesses to the incident advised responding officers that the individual attempted to reach over the counter to take cash from an open cash register and that no weapon was involved in the incident,” Associate Director of Media Relations Megan McRainey wrote in a July 14 statement to the Wheel. “Based upon that information, it was determined that an imminent threat to the greater community did not exist and an emergency notification was not required.”

The suspect was described as a black male about 5 feet 4 inches tall, 30 to 40 years old, who walks with a limp.

Executive Editor | cyan24@emory.edu
Christina Yan (21B) is from Monmouth Junction, N.J., majoring in business administration. She previously served as assistant news editor and news editor. She won a 2018 Mark of Excellence Award from the Society of Professional Journalists in the General News Reporting category for her coverage of Emory Law Professor Paul J. Zwier II’s use of the N-word in class and also placed as a finalist in the same category for her investigation of the 2018 Student Government Association elections. Outside the Wheel, she is an academic fellow, QTM100 lab assistant and a member of Emory China Care's marketing team. In her spare time, she enjoys flexing on others with her ability to eat spicy food.