As of December 31, 2012, Fitness Emory under Recreational Services has stopped accepting punch cards for the classes they offer. Originally, one fitness class (one punch) cost $6, and as the amount of punches increased, prices would adjust accordingly (with the exception of Bikram Yoga classes). Now, Fitness Emory has decided to offer students a flat-fee of $20 per semester, giving them unlimited access to most, if not all, of the fitness classes. These classes include Boot Camp, Zumba, Cardio Kick-box, Hip-hop Cardio, Creative Cardio, Stretch, Tone, & Abs, Tae Kwon Do, Indoor Cycling, Introductory Yoga, Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Iyenger Yoga, Pranakriya Yoga, Capoeira, Pilates and Step Aerobics. Fitness Emory has instituted a trial-period for students that ends on January 23, 2013.

We at the Wheel find these steps to reduce costs for students commendable. These changes will most likely incentivize students to work-out more, resulting in healthier lifestyles. Furthermore, the voluntary aspect of these classes ensures that students are not being forced to exercise and the reduction in cost adds to the accessibility of these services.

In lieu of the current P.E. department cuts, we applaud Recreational Services for the creative ways in which they have approached physical fitness at Emory despite a severely reduced budget. These classes are an excellent  to encourage students to exercise, and we appreciate all efforts to increase opportunity for these services outside of the classroom.

The above staff editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel‘s editorial board.