Starting in October, CVS/pharmacy, one of the largest pharmacy chains in the United States, will stop selling cigarettes. In light of Emory’s own tobacco-free policy and the close proximity of many CVS stores near main campus, we at the Wheel think this regulation is a positive idea. The change has the potential to cause a decrease in smoking on campus. The lack of supply will hopefully discourage freshmen and others from starting to smoke and encourage smokers to kick the habit.

The ban will make acquiring cigarettes more difficult for those who do smoke – whether that is habitually or socially. This may result in a long-term reduction of smoking on our campus and in general, which would allow the Emory community to more fully adhere to its tobacco-free policy. In general, we feel that CVS’ decision will benefit Emory in the long term, as it will make it more difficult for freshmen and underage students to buy cigarettes, curbing potential addiction to a deadly product.

Furthermore, we believe that this could result in the reduction of smoking around Emory University Hospital, catering to those who neither need nor want to be around tobacco smoke. By ceasing cigarette sales, CVS could be stopping visitors to Emory’s campus – including those who aren’t familiar with Emory’s tobacco-free policy – from purchasing these products nearby.

Overall, we support CVS’ decision and hope that other companies follow suit, though the implications of CVS’ new policy have yet to be known. We hope that the ban will decrease smoking on campus but are aware that this is more of a long-term solution than an immediate one. Freshmen and underage students will not be able to pick up the habit as easily as before, generally benefiting their health and, overall, the Emory community’s tobacco ban.The above staff editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel