H. Eddie Fox, the world director of World Methodist Evangelism and the executive director of the Emory-based World Methodist Evangelism Institute, received the Candler School of Theology’s 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award for his service to the church. Fox was one of three individuals selected to receive this year’s award, which is given to those with exceptional achievements who are graduates of Emory’s Candler School of Theology. Candidates are nominated by faculty, staff, students, friends and Candler alumni.

Fox’s recognition was met with significant backlash by some members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community. Members voiced concerns that Fox had a history of “anti-gay” behavior and called for the Candler School of Theology to rescind his award. The instance advocates are pointing to as an example of “anti-gay” sentiment occurred during a United Methodist Church conference in 2008, when Fox co-authored a report that said homosexuality is “incompatible with Christian teaching.”

We at the Wheel recognize that there is a distinction between academia and advocacy. There continues to be partisanship in the Methodist Church on the issue of gay rights – both theologians and laypeople continue to wrestle with different interpretations of scripture. Many nuanced distinctions appear when interpreting the Bible, and we are unsure as to whether the comments made by Fox were made for academic or personal reasons. In addition, we lack any further information or evidence about Fox’s purportedly anti-gay sentiments.

Due to both the complexity of the issue and the religious interpretive context, we do not feel equipped to comment on whether Fox is anti-gay or not. Regardless, we feel the issue sparks valuable dialogue about what kinds of people should be receiving awards from the University. Our University communicates the qualities it holds dear through the honors it bestows – giving a person an award, then, should affirm that the honoree’s values align with Emory’s own.

We are not judging Fox to be “anti-gay,” since we simply do not have enough information to reach such a conclusion. Instead, we are using the implications of this specific scenario as a launchpad to discuss whether or not awards should be given to those who do not align with Emory’s standing values.

We applaud Candler School of Theology Dean Jan Love for the email she sent to faculty and students of the school about concerns raised over Fox receiving the award. Her email epitomizes the necessity for open dialogue on such issues, and her active participation shows her dedication to furthering such discourse.

The Emory community is absolutely accepting of all people. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation or any other kind of prejudice. Civil rights should be taken very seriously, and we are glad Emory has made this clear. On that note, we at the Wheel have absolutely no tolerance for anti-gay rhetoric or actions. Such discriminatory behavior undermines some of Emory’s basic principles, including our commitment to LGBT rights.

We welcome productive dialogue from those who hold contrary opinions, but hatred should never be tolerated. A difference exists between keeping beliefs in a confined, religious realm and being actively discriminatory.

We must critically evaluate the beliefs of those whom Emory grants an award or brings to speak at an event. Certain values cannot be compromised. After all, we are made up of a diverse community where all kinds of people should be given equal opportunities.

The above staff editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel’s editorial board.