Emory Professors Awarded Guggenheim Fellowships

Charles Howard Candler Professor of African American Studies Carol Anderson and Professor of Late Medieval and Renaissance Art History C. Jean Campbell were announced as recipients of the 2018 Guggenheim Fellowships on April 5, according to the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Anderson won a fellowship in constitutional studies, and Campbell won a fellowship in fine art studies. This year, the foundation selected 173 of about 3,000 applicants from the United States and Canada. “These artists and writers, scholars and scientists, represent the best of the best,” Guggenheim Foundation President Edwin Hirsch said in an April 5 press release that announced the fellows. “It’s an honor to be able to support these individuals to do the work they were meant to do.”

Winship Awards Three Endowed Chair Positions

Emory’s Winship Cancer Institute awarded three endowed chair positions to members of the Department of Radiation Oncology for their “outstanding contributions” to cancer research, according to a March 28. The institute named Xingming Deng as the chair in cancer biology, David Yu as the Jerome Landry, MD chair of cancer research and Hyunsuk Shim as the Crocker family chair in cancer innovation. Winship Executive Director and Chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology Walter Curran stated “there is no greater honor for Emory and Winship faculty than the bestowal of an endowed chair,” according to the announcement.

FBI Raids Office of President’s Personal Lawyer

FBI officials raided the office of U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, on Monday morning and seized records related to payment to pornographic film actress Stormy Daniels, according to The New York Times. Daniels alleged that she had an affair with Trump in 2006 and received money to keep quiet about it. Trump responded to the raid by calling it a “disgraceful situation” and an “attack on our country in a true sense,” while Cohen stated the raid was “completely inappropriate and unnecessary,” the Times reported.

Bottoms Asks Cabinet Members to Resign

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms told her cabinet of 35 city officials to submit their resignations by the end of the day on Monday, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. After securing the office in the December 2017 run-off, Bottoms told former Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed’s staff that they could stay for about 90 days while she became more familiar with them, the AJC reported. The 90-day period has ended, and Bottoms told the cabinet that she will decide by the end of this week which resignations she will accept, according to the AJC.

Body Of Missing CDC Employee Found After Seven Weeks

Rescue crews found the body of Timothy Cunningham, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) researcher, partly submerged on the west bank of the Chattahoochee River in Northwest Atlanta on April 5, according to The New York Times. Cunningham’s family first reported him missing on Feb. 16. Fulton County Chief Medical Examiner Jan Gorniak confirmed the identity of the decomposing body using dental records. While investigators have not identified any signs of foul play regarding Cunningham’s death, police are offering a $15,000 reward for any information about related criminal activity, the Times reported.

Office of Admissions Sends Erroneous Message

More than 1,800 applicants admitted to Oxford College received a “miscommunication” from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions regarding information on an acceptance to Emory College of Arts and Sciences, according to Associate Vice Provost for Undergraduate Enrollment and Dean of Admission John Latting. “Students who had been admitted to Oxford College two weeks [ago] did receive a follow-up message meant for Emory College applicants,” Latting told the Wheel. A follow-up email to the 1,823 affected students read, “Last night we sent an email to you congratulating you on your acceptance to Emory College. This was sent in error, and we humbly apologize for any confusion or hurt feelings this email may have caused.” Latting noted that the miscommunication was “an information update message that is routinely sent to admitted students,” and not a letter of admission. —Alex Klugerman

Joshua Lee is a College freshman from Pittsburg, Kansas.