trackweb

On Friday the track and field teams put on an impressive display, winning 12 total events at the Mountain Laurel Invitational at Sewanee: The University of the South (Tenn.). Emory’s men won first place overall with 201 total points and its women won third place overall with an aggregate score of 147 points.

Behind the points, many of Emory’s gifted athletes were able to carve out individual achievements.

Senior Morgan Monroe, winner of the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.64 seconds, the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.78 seconds and the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.21 seconds, felt the most nervous for the hurdle race.

“The hurdles are always the most unpredictable race in track and field,” Monroe said.

As a senior, this is Monroe’s last season. Monroe hopes that she mentored her younger teammates.

“I personally take a tougher approach on the younger runners at the beginning of the year so that they take training seriously, but then I move to a more supportive, nurturing role once the racing starts second semester,” she said.

While Monroe personally connects with her younger teammates, there are “plenty of leaders on the team […] we all lead by example.”

Going into the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship meet, Monroe is ready to add more victories to her already illustrious career.

“Before a race I always try to remain focused and execute the race I train for,” she said.

On the men’s side, Ian McIsaac won second place in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:56.06. His marvelous pace is unmatched by any Eagle this season.

“Initially, after the race, I knew that a bunch of us had done well,” the freshman said. “When my legs felt like Jell-O after I finished, I figured I must’ve done something right.”

McIsaac is looking to take advantage of the heightened expectations he set on Friday and mark a new lane for himself at the UAA Championships.

“I am a little nervous about running in my first really big collegiate race, but I’m excited to have such a great opportunity to run well in Chicago,” he said.

He is extremely confident in his team going into the UAA’s.

“The team morale is looking as positive as ever,” he said. “Of course everyone is always eager to set new records, and those are never off the table.”

The Eagles will begin competition in the UAA Outdoor Championships Saturday at the University of Chicago.

– By Stephen Jaber