Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Perhaps the most obvious perk of living someplace that isn’t owned by the University is the distinct lack of a resident adviser whose job it is to bust up your parties. That’s not to say that there are no rules in real world apartment complexes, but there certainly isn’t the specter of a conduct violation looming outside your door.

While that may prove convenient for those whose habits create suspicious odors, it also has an unexpectedly pleasant consequence: pets (granted, these might also cause suspicious odors). A furry little friend can help relieve the tension that will inevitably build in your happy home.

Living in a house or apartment off campus is great, and there’s a good chance that you’ll do lots of bonding with your room/flat/housemates. This good thing is made even better by the fact that you all aren’t sharing just one room in a first-year residence hall.

But unlike in a residence hall, when you get tired of your mates, there probably isn’t a building full of people to go hang out with. That’s where Fido comes in.

But before you run off to buy that adorable puppy you saw on Pinterest, you should double-check that your landlord allows dogs or other kinds of pets. In the real world, you won’t be going to conduct for having a pet, you might just get evicted. ​​

— By Nick Bradley, Features Editor