The Dobbs Market, located in the Dobbs University Center (DUC), will permanently extend its hours for the rest of the semester, removing the Late Night Option.

In addition, the Dobbs Market will host Premium Nights every Wednesday evening, offering students high-quality food options on a weekly basis.

For the remainder of the semester after Thanksgiving break, Dobbs Market will no longer offer a Late Night option.

Instead, it will remain open until 10 p.m. on weeknights.

In the past, the Dobbs Market, which is the main dining service on campus, stayed open until 8 p.m. and reopened for Late Night from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m on weeknights.

However, Food Advisory Committee at Emory (FACE) co-chairs, College sophomores Michael Sacks and Karoline Porcello, chose to explore the possibility of changing these hours due to student dissatisfaction and practical concerns regarding the Dobbs Market employees who worked during the Late Night hours.

In an Oct. 18 Wheel article, Sacks explained that employees who worked shifts during Late Night often had difficulty returning home because many workers did not finish their shifts until past midnight.

The last Metro Atlanta Regional Transit Authority (MARTA) bus, which many workers use to get home, leaves campus at 12:13 a.m.

These concerns prompted Sacks and Porcello to work directly with Emory Dining administrators to implement a four-day trial period from Nov. 12 to Nov. 15, during which Dobbs Market removed its Late Night option and extended operational hours from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

According to Sacks and Porcello, student response to these changes has been overwhelmingly positive.

Sacks and Porcello held a FACE meeting on Wednesday that was open to all students to address any issues they might have regarding the changes during the trial period.

“Our meeting was especially full,” Sacks said. “We actually had to turn some people away, and everyone seemed to support [the new hours] except for one girl. Everyone was very receptive to the new hours. Someone said it should have happened a long time ago.”

Porcello explained that she and Sacks asked the woman why she did not support the new hours for the Dobbs Market.

The woman responded that she did not know where she could eat after 10 p.m., whereby Porcello and Sacks “pointed her towards Zaya, Woodruff, Dunkin’ [Donuts] and other places that are open.”

During the four-day trial period, the Dobbs Market also implemented its first Premium Night, which, according to Sacks and Porcello, will continue every Wednesday evening.

The Premium Night, which took place this Wednesday, offered steak as well as vegetarian options.

Students interested in the premium options paid five Dooley Dollars in addition to using a meal swipe.

Sacks said she received positive feedback about the premium meals.

“I’ve heard raving reviews about the steak,” Sacks said. “For an extra five Dooley Dollars, people were very happy to get a fancy meal.”

Sacks and Porcello noted that they will also survey students to see which night of the week works best for Premium Night.

They will also consider the possibility of adding additional Premium Nights each week, depending on student feedback.

However, in order for Dobbs Market to permanently remove its Late Night option and extend its operational hours next semester, Emory University’s food service provider Sodexo must first approve the changes.

– Contact Stephanie Fang at

fang.fang@emory.edu

By Stephanie Fang

News Co-Editor

– By Stephanie Fang