Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons.

Dear President Wagner,

GALA: Emory LGBT Alumni has a longstanding commitment to supporting access, equity and inclusion on our campus. Included in our mission is a directive to “support and advocate for a non-discriminatory and diverse working, living and academic experience at Emory.” It is this directive that moves us to write in support of Freedom at Emory University and their efforts to make our institution a more welcoming and inclusive environment for undocumented students.

The GALA Steering Committee recently met with a number of student leaders from Freedom at Emory University and learned about the work they are doing to improve Emory policies for undocumented students. We agree with Freedom at Emory University that no one should be denied the opportunity to receive the kind of world class education that Emory offers because of their documentation status. We also agree that denying access to financial aid based on documentation status is a discriminatory practice that treats potential students unfairly and leaves our campus community without their rich and diverse contributions.

GALA is committed to advocating for positive change at Emory around social justice issues, including immigration and documentation status because both impact the LGBT community.

Specifically, we share Freedom at Emory University’s three main goals:

1. Emory University’s Policy 1.3.1, the Equal Opportunities and Non-Discrimination Policy, should be amended to include documentation status.

2. Undocumented students should be eligible for institutional, need-based aid and merit-based scholarships.

3. Emory University should strive to live up to its goals and values regarding social justice by adopting policies and attitudes that welcome undocumented students into our community.

We respectfully urge you to consider Freedom at Emory University’s goals and to take action that is consistent with being an ethically engaged institution of higher learning. 

Sincerely,

GALA: Emory LGBT Alumni Steering Committee