Courtest of Emory Athletics Zachary Rosenberg sprints in a relay race for the Eagles. The Eagles turned in a new program record and multiple podium finishes at the Blue Shoes Collegiate Track and Field Meet last weekend.

Courtesy of Emory Athletics
Zachary Rosenberg sprints in a relay race for the Eagles. The Eagles turned in a new program record and multiple podium finishes at the Blue Shoes Collegiate Track and Field Meet last weekend.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled this past weekend to the Blue Shoes Collegiate Track and Field Meet, hosted by Furman University (S.C.).

Saturday, April 12 turned out to be a historic day for the squad, as senior Electra Korn of the women’s team set a new school record in the 400-meter hurdles. Korn ran a 1:01.94 in the race, finishing second overall, but breaking the program’s previous record of 1:02.23, set in 1997. In doing so, Korn became the first woman in program history to break the 62-second mark in the 400-meter hurdles.

The women’s squad enjoyed a successful day on the track, with many athletes finishing on the podium in various events. In addition to finishing second in the 400-meter hurdles, Korn finished second in the 200-meter dash with a career-best time of 25.01 seconds.

Korn, along with freshman Harley Barrera, senior Morgan Monroe and junior Debora Adjibaba, teamed up to win the 4×100-meter relay in 48.99 seconds.

After setting her season-best time in the preliminary rounds, Monroe came in second overall in the 100-meter hurdles.

In the preliminary rounds, Monroe set the fifth fastest time in school history and the third fastest in Division III this year with a time of 14.41 seconds.

Senior Meredith Lorch won the 3,000-meter steeplechase, putting up the 20th fastest time in Division III this year with an 11:23.52 second mark.

The other members of the women’s squad finishing in the top three of their respective events were Adjibaba, who came in third in the 100-meter dash, sophomore Julie Williamson, who came in second in the 800-meter run, junior Stephanie Crane, who came in second in the mile run and senior Hope Olszewski, who came in second in the javelin throw.

The men’s team also had a fairly successful weekend, led by junior Gui Silva, who won the 400-meter dash with a career-best time of 48.29 seconds. Silva also came in second in the 200-meter dash with another career-best time of 21.89 seconds.

Also competing well was junior James Bassen, who threw the season-best distance in the javelin throw for the Eagles, throwing the javelin 54.28 meters, good for second at Blue Shoes. Bassen also finished third in the hammer throw, registering a distance of 36.70 meters.

The only other member of the men’s team to finish in the top three was sophomore Dametris Osbourne, who finished third in the high jump with a mark of 1.79 meters.

Five other members of the men’s team finished in the top 10 of their respective events, ranging from the mile run to the 100-meter dash.

The Eagles travel again next weekend to University of the South at Sewanee (Tenn.), as the team will participate in the Mountain Laurel Invitational on Saturday, April 19. The invitational will be the team’s final meet until conference meets begin at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

– By Ethan Morris