P. David Johnson, New Associate VP for Communications and Marketing | Photo courtesy Emory News Center

P. David Johnson. Courtesy of Emory News Center

Emory named P. David Johnson the new Associate Vice President of Communications and Marketing in the Department of Communications and Public Affairs, according to a Jan. 29 University press release.

Johnson started his position on Monday, Feb. 2 and will report to Senior Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs Jerry Lewis.

The role of associate vice president of Communications and Marketing is a new position created as part of the reorganization of the Communication and Public Affairs department, Lewis wrote in an email to the ​Wheel.

He added that Communications and Public Affairs includes marketing and communications, media relations, health sciences communications and government affairs.

According to Lewis, Johnson will lead marketing and communications strategy development for Emory with “a keen focus on fine-tuning and expressing the University’s brand.” Lewis added that Johnson will manage a broad portfolio that includes Emory’s print and electronic communications, web and online communications, photography and video, social media and market research.

Lewis wrote that Johnson will also lead Emory’s central creative and production teams and will work closely with deans, senior administrators and others to integrate campus communications.
“[I look] forward to working closely with deans and other senior leaders throughout the university to help strategically communicate the priorities they have set for their areas,” Johnson wrote.

However, this won’t be the first time that Lewis and Johnson have worked together.
The two previously worked together at the University of Miami and at the University of Texas at Arlington, Lewis wrote, where they worked in the office of communications and marketing in both universities. From his experience working with Johnson, Lewis added that Johnson is creative, enthusiastic, thoughtful and strategic, and that he knows how to approach large, complicated assignments and work collaboratively to find the right solution.

Lewis wrote that he is confident Johnson “will inspire [the communications and public affairs] team and his colleagues across the University to raise the bar in the way we communicate Emory to our many audiences and constituents.”

Before coming to Emory, Johnson served as associate vice president for Communications and Marketing at the University of Texas at Arlington. Johnson was selected for the new position based on his solid background in communications, Lewis wrote, calling Johnson a nationally-recognized expert in the field of higher education marketing and communications.

“[Johnson] has more than 20 years of experience developing strategies ranging from billion-dollar fundraising campaigns to enormously successful student recruitment initiatives to highly evolved web sites and online environments,” Lewis wrote. “He has tremendous expertise in staging major events and creating memorable branded environments, including the 2004 Presidential Debate at the University of Miami [and] a visit from His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Miami.”

When asked why he’s excited to work at Emory, Johnson wrote that as one of the most respected and prestigious institutions in higher education, Emory is a very exciting place to help lead an established team of marketing and communications professionals and to forge new ways to expand and enhance efforts in promoting the Emory brand to constituents.

Johnson also wrote that his first day (Monday, Feb. 2) went well.

“First days are always fun.” Johnson wrote. “I can already tell that Emory is a gracious and welcoming place, and I’m very glad to be here and be part of it.”

— By Annie McGrew, Asst. News Editor

This article was updated at 3 p.m. on Feb. 3 to reflect that the entire Communications and Public Affairs Department, not just Johnson’s position, includes marketing and communications, media relations, health sciences communications and government affairs under their responsibilities.