hospital-James-Crissman-1web

Photo by James Crissman

By Stephen Fowler
Asst. News Editor

Emory University Hospital launched a website detailing protocols and procedures for dealing with patients infected with Ebola, according to an Oct. 20 University press release.

According to the press release, the website will serve as a compendium of best practices for safe and effective screening, diagnosis and treatment for patients with Ebola.

“The Emory Healthcare Ebola Preparedness Protocols website includes policies, procedures and protocols developed within Emory Healthcare to enable physicians and staff to deal safely and effectively with various risk categories of patients who could be or are infected with the Ebola virus,” the press release reads.

Emory Hospital has been responsible for the successful treatment of three Ebola patients: physician Kent Brantly, aid worker Nancy Writebol and an unidentified male patient; nurse Amber Joy Vinson is currently being treated in a special isolation unit.

According to the Oct. 20 University press release, the third Ebola patient, who entered treatment at Emory University Hospital Sept. 9, was released Sept. 19 and poses “no public health threat.”

The patient will make a statement at a later date and wishes to retain anonymity, according to the statement.

President and CEO of Emory Healthcare John Fox wrote in the statement from the press release that, given Emory’s role in treating Ebola patients, it is important to ensure other health care facilities are prepared to handle Ebola.

“Health care providers throughout the United States are very concerned about the potential spread of Ebola virus and the possible arrival of patients with Ebola virus disease at their emergency departments, hospitals and clinics,” Fox wrote. “Emory Healthcare is committed to sharing our processes and experience on how to provide safe, effective care for patients with Ebola virus disease.”

The 84-page protocol manual covers every step of the admissions process, including a high-risk assessment performed by an Infectious Diseases physician, a comprehensive travel history and delineation of high-risk, intermediate-risk and low-risk for Ebola.

There is also a detailed section on specimen management for patients who have contracted Ebola or are at high-risk of infection.

Another nurse, Nina Pham, also contracted Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital while caring for Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national who was infected with the first case of Ebola diagnosed in the United States and later died on Oct. 8.

According to reports from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and Chief Clinical Officer for Texas Health Services Daniel Varga, Texas Health Presbyterian allegedly did not follow proper protocol or have health care staff in proper protective gear when treating Duncan, which contributed to Vinson and Pham being infected.

Another aspect of the Ebola protocols calls for education around risk assessment, triage and care of high-risk patients across the Emory Healthcare system.

The protocol manual also outlines the history and function of Emory’s Special Communicable Diseases Unit (SCDU), where the Ebola patients have been treated.

Staffing in the SCDU is comprised of physicians who are members of the Infectious Diseases Division at the Emory University School of Medicine, experienced Emory Healthcare nurses who have received special training in the care of patients with serious communicable diseases and laboratory technologists, according to the protocol manual.

– Contact Stephen Fowler at smfowle@emory.edu

Stephen Fowler 16C is the political reporter at Georgia Public Broadcasting, the statewide NPR affiliate in Georgia. He graduated from Emory with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies and covered the central administration and Greek Life for the Wheel before serving as assistant news editor, Emory Life editor and the Executive Digital Editor from 2015-16.