The Emory women’s softball team had a great weekend, winning all four games they played in the Emory Invitational and improving their record to 8-0.

“It was nice to get four more wins this weekend,” junior first baseman Megan Light said. “We definitely saw some individual and team strengths but we also saw places where we need to improve.

Led by Head Coach Penny Siquerios, the 23rd-ranked Eagles were able to win back to back double headers on Saturday and Sunday.

“We have flashes of greatness and mediocre performance,” Siquerios said. “To be a great team, we have to be mentally tuned in and consistent in the little things we do. We have the potential to be a great team, yet if we do not make adjustments, we’ll be left behind.”

On Saturday, the team defeated Ferrum College in their first game. Freshman Sydney Carpenter got the win, coming in relief and pitching 6 2/3 innings of one hit ball and striking out 12, improving her record to 2-0.

The Eagles continued to win as they beat York College later that afternoon 9-0 in a five-inning contest.  Freshman third baseman Hannah Sendel had three runs batted in while Light had a couple of hits and scored a couple of runs, one of them being a home run, her third of the season.

“We started off really strong on Saturday with two good wins,” Carpenter said. “Everyone was focused and ready to go. I think we got complacent coming off that into Sunday and we started off a little lazy against York but we picked it up and put runs on the board.”

The Eagles won both games in their double header on Sunday afternoon, beating the same teams they had beaten the day before. The team beat York College 9-0 in five innings again to open the day. The team scored all nine of their runs in the 3rd inning, which included a grand slam by Light, her fourth of the season. Sophomore catcher Micah Scharff also contributed to the win with a two-out-three-run double to blow the game wide open. Junior pitcher Amanda Kardys got the win after coming in relief to pitch 2 2/3 innings and only allowing two hits.

The second game of the day was much closer as the Eagles defeated Furmur College 2-1. Carpenter continued her excellent pitching by throwing a complete game two-hitter and striking out 11 batters, raising her record to 3-0 on the season. Down 1-0 in the fifth inning, the team was able to capitalize on a couple of errors and a clutch single by freshman outfielder Katelyn Gibson to take the lead, 2-1.

“Against Ferrum on Sunday, we were flat,” Carpenter said. “We didn’t have the energy we normally have, we were coming off of three wins that weekend and we simply lost focus. In the future we are going to be facing much tougher teams and I’m looking forward to our team stepping it up and beating some good competition because I know we can.”

As the season begins to take form, the team is excited to continue their good play and to capitalize on the potential this group has.

“I am looking forward to growing as a team, and seeing our team chemistry only get stronger, allowing us to play better on the field,” Light said. “We are working hard to get to know each others strengths and weaknesses and hopefully this will allow us to be better as a whole.”

The women’s softball team returns to the diamond on Tuesday, Feb. 19, as the Eagles host Elmira College in a doubleheader at 12:30 p.m.

By Brian Chavkin