Food Advisory Committee at Emory (FACE) Co-Chairs Samantha Goodman and Katarina Bartel speak at the Feb. 2 town hall meeting. / Michelle Lou, News Editor

Food Advisory Committee at Emory (FACE) Co-chairs Samantha Goodman and Katarina Bartel speak at the Feb. 2 town hall meeting about the Emory Dining updates. / Michelle Lou, News Editor

Food Advisory Committee at Emory (FACE) fielded concerns from students regarding food truck location blunders, and informed students about new campus-wide food options at Emory Dining this semester at its first monthly town hall of the semester Feb. 2.

“Pasta Johns” moved from Cox Hall to Dobbs Market, and the “Authentic” section in Dobbs Market began offering traditional international dishes, due to student survey feedback asking for both more pasta and authentic food in Dobb’s Market. Emory Dining made the changes over winter break, Executive Campus Chef Michelle Reuter told about 30 people in Winship Ballroom.

Meanwhile, construction of the DUC-ling prompted food truck location changes. A student voiced concerns that food trucks weren’t parking in their designated locations. Associate Director of Campus Dining Chad Sunstein said fewer food trucks will be parking in their usual location near the James W. Wagner Freshman Quadrangle, due to difficulty of maneuvering through the DUC-ling construction site. To fill the freshman quad food truck void, trucks will park near Harris Hall and Complex Hall, Sunstein said.

The Dobbs University Center (DUC) will be demolished over the summer, and Emory Dining is currently searching for a new temporary or permanent venue for Mama Tiger, an Asian cuisine restaurant located on the DUC’s first floor, Sunstein said.

The associate director also said the DUC-ling is on schedule to open Summer 2017.

FACE Co-chairs and College seniors Samantha Goodman and Katarina Bartel described changes to campus-wide dining locations. The new food options include Dobb’s Market dining stations and Ray’s Pizza locations at the George and Irene Woodruff Residential Center and Cox Hall.

At Dobbs Market, “Pasta Johns” replaced the “Global” section; the “Comfort” station is renamed “Southern Mains” but serves similar food as the “Comfort” station; the “Grill” now serves curly fries and mashed potatoes; the “Authentic” station serving traditional international food is at the former “Vegan” station; and the “Vegan” station is now next to “Southern Mains.”

Goodman and Bartel also said that Ray’s is the only on-campus dining location that delivers food daily to any building on Emory’s Atlanta campus from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., noting that there is a $15 minimum delivery order.

After receiving comments that the new DUC stations tasted better than last semester’s stations, as well as some criticism that Highland Bakery did not provide adequate amounts of avocado in its sandwiches and that Ray’s Pizza at Woodruff needed more healthy meal-swipe food options, Goodman and Bartel thanked attendees for their comments and said they would inform dining representatives of the concerns.

FACE and Emory Dining collaborate to implement the changes students suggest from FACE meetings and survey responses from undergraduates, Sunstein said, adding that more than 2,000 students answer each annual survey.

Goizueta Business School junior Josh Patashnik said he attended the meeting because he wants Kaldi’s Coffee to serve pumpkin bread year-round instead of seasonally.

“I feel passionately about getting pumpkin bread at Kaldi’s,” Patashnik said. “I thought [the recent dining changes] were incredibly nice, and I can’t wait to see updates on pumpkin bread.”

Former Executive Editor | Richard Chess (20C) served as the Wheel's executive editor from March 2018 to August 2019. He also held various other positions at the Wheel including as news editor and senior editor. As news editor, Richard covered issues related to the city of Atlanta and reported that the 2016 Migos scandal cost Emory $37,500. Richard has received numerous collegiate journalism awards for his investigative and objective news coverage, including an SPJ Mark of Excellence Award in 2019.