Students and Emory Dining staff discuss suggestions and future changes for Emory’s culinary options at this week’s Food Advisory Committee at Emory (FACE) meeting. / Photo by Sumera Dang, Contributor

While some of us live to eat, the truth of life is that food keeps us alive and at most times, we eat to live. To aid life at Emory, the Food Advisory Committee at Emory aka FACE, works towards improving the food provided on campus every semester.
FACE aims to bring together Emory students with Emory dining staff to exchange feedback and enhance the culinary experience at the University.

This committee, lead by FACE chairs College junior Molly Talman and B-School junior Bryce Robertson held a meeting on Jan. 29 to discuss new ideas for the upcoming semester.

“Students love that they have an outlet to voice their opinions and we love to watch ideas being implemented in a matter of few weeks,” Talman said.

A consistent concern from members of the student body brought to FACE has been the lack of late-night options on campus. Late night studying is dear to Emory students, and food is a must to keep the mind from sleeping. To address this concern, FACE helped launch the Eagle Convenience store on the ground floor of the Dobbs University Center last semester. Along with selling subs and other food items, the convenience store accepts Dooley Dollars for payment.

With the temperamental Atlanta weather, Swoop Soups, which is currently open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first floor of the DUC, is attempting to keep everyone warm. As summer approaches, FACE plans to move Swoop Soups into the convenience store and make it available for the same hours as the subs.

“Swoop Soups has definitely been one of our significant accomplishments this semester,” Robertson said.

At the meeting, many students voiced their opinions ranging from the increase in the meat options and decrease in soft drink options at the SAAC. The conversation also revolved around the way subs are made such as appeals for better segregation of veg and non-veg ingredients and the fruit options at the salad bars such as the addition of berries on a regular basis.

Many students voiced support to try to get Blue Donkey, a coffee vendor present at the weekly Emory Farmer’s Market, on permanently on campus. FACE has taken this into account and they will be making efforts to talk to Coca-Cola distributors regarding the possibility of having bottled Blue Donkey on campus.

Additionally, starting in August, FACE will make Dooley Dollars acceptable at the weekly farmers’ market on campus. They also aim to increase the variety of food available at the locations where students can currently use swipes: the DUC, White hall, Woodruff and the SAAC.

Currently, the biggest challenge for FACE seems to be the effort they’ll need to put towards possibly finding a new food vendor for campus next semester.

While it is uncertain whether Sodexo will continue to act as the dining vendor, FACE assured students that the staff that students interact with each day at the DUC and other outlets will remain the same.
Additionally, possible renovations are soon to appear at Zaya at Dooley’s Den at the Depot to make the space more comfortable.

— By Sumera Dang, Contributing Writer