Two experts discussed how mental health problems affect African Americans in a larger social and societal sense, highlighting racism, prejudice, education and the stigma that mental illness holds in African American communities in White Hall on Thursday evening.

Clinical Psychologist Alduan Tartt and Physician and Founder of the Lorio Psych Group Sarah Vinson spoke at the lecture titled, “Suffering in Silence: Mental Health in the African American Community,” which was hosted by the Gamma Beta Gamma chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.

Vinson, an assistant professor of Psychiatry at Morehouse School of Medicine and adjunct faculty at Emory University School of Medicine, looked at a multitude of societal stressors, including experienced or perceived prejudice, institutional and internalized racism, personal trauma, mental health care access disparities and double stigma.

Vinson also discussed known protective factors against mental illness, such as a sense of connectedness with others, religiosity, one’s self-esteem and socioeconomic status. Vinson suggested possible treatment sources for sufferers of mental illness, including spiritual outlets, self-care, physical activities and professional therapy.

In the latter portion of the event, Tartt, a recipient of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Award and a frequent expert on CNN and HLN, focused on mental health in regard to college life and relationships.

For his part of the talk, Tartt used his experience as a clinical psychologist to provide his own therapy strategies. He touched on the most effective ways to encourage a significant other to talk and share their feelings and explained how he uses these strategies to help his own clients.

Tartt’s approach consisted of using positive and motivational psychology vis-à-vis his clients, in which he accentuates the positive aspects of the client’s life. He encouraged the audience to use this tactic in their everyday lives with their peers.

The event’s pamphlet cited statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Minority Health, such as the fact that black adults are 20 percent more likely to report serious psychological distress and are more likely to have feelings of sadness, hopelessness and worthlessness than their white counterparts. Within the African American community, according to the HHS statistics reported by the pamphlet, 63 percent believe that depression is a personal weakness, higher than the overall survey average of 54 percent.

Phi Beta Sigma Chapter President and College senior William Lowry, who attended and helped organize the lecture, said there is a major need both at Emory and in the African American community for open discussions on mental health problems.

“We live and learn in a very stressful environment at Emory,” Lowry said. “While one of Emory’s best qualities, the effects on student well-being cannot be ignored.”

Phi Beta Sigma chapter Treasurer and College senior Ryland Avery, who also helped organize the event, said the chapter wanted to raise awareness of “issues that are not often publicized in our community, or even recognized.”

College junior Taylor Craig, who attended the lecture, said she felt satisfied with the event’s content.

“It was relevant and important,” she said. “I really appreciated the talk.”

Following the end of the lecture, Craig, along with many other audience members, rushed to the front of the auditorium to meet and talk to the keynote speakers.

Like Craig, College freshman Deandre Miles said he enjoyed the event and felt that the topic of mental health was an important one.

“The event introduced a much-needed conversation on the factors that influence the mental health of African Americans,” he said. Miles highlighted the importance of one of the event’s audience members: College Dean Robin Forman, who asked one of the first questions during the question and answer session.

By Ashley Cane