This past Wednesday, the Emory women’s tennis team defeated the No. 2 NAIA Georgia Gwinnett College 6-3. The victory pushed Emory to 4-1 on their season so far, while Georgia Gwinnett fell to 1-1.

The Eagles won five of six matches in singles competition. Junior Michelle Satterfield completed in the No. 2 singles spot, winning 7-5, 6-2. Freshman Taylor Cosme, in the No. 3 singles spot, defeated her opponent 6-1, 6-1. Senior Beatrice Rosen won her match 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 4 singles spot. Freshman Daniela Lopez was next, winning 6-2, 6-3 in No. 5 singles. Senior captain Madison Gordon finished the singles competition with a final win for Emory, 6-3, 6-1.

In the doubles competition, Georgia Gwinnett won the first two matches, against the team of sophomore Bridget Harding and junior Katerina Su, and the team of junior Paula Castro and sophomore Anna Fuhr. On the last match of doubles play, the Emory team of Satterfield and Lopez defeated Georgia Gwinnett 8-4.

Emory will return to action this Saturday with two matches at home. At 11 a.m. the Eagles will go up against Berry College (Ga.), then at 2 p.m. will play Brenau University (Ga.).

Elana Cates is a College junior from San Diego, California, majoring in English and History. She joined the Wheel's Editorial Board her sophomore year as sports editor. In addition to the Wheel, Elana is also a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and the Student Alumni Board.