Thomas Hilchey/Facebook

Thomas Hilchey (16OX, 18C) died Sunday after he sustained injuries from falling off a second-story balcony earlier that weekend, according to Duncan Hilchey, his father. Thomas Hilchey was 20 years old.

A police investigation is still ongoing as of Tuesday afternoon, though the Friday night incident appears to have been an accident, Ithaca Police Department (IPD) said.

The 20-year-old College student, from Ithaca, N.Y., was studying neuroscience and behavioral biology at Emory. Outside of classes, Hilchey played for the Oxford College men’s soccer team, was a member of Oxford College social club Kappa Phi Nu and worked in the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research.

IPD, Ithaca Fire Department and Bangs Ambulance, Inc., arrived on the scene of the incident at Cayuga Street in Ithaca, N.Y., late Friday night and found Hilchey unconscious and bleeding, according to IPD. Hilchey was still breathing but there were “possibilities of serious injuries,” and he was transported by helicopter to the Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa., police said.

Hilchey was declared brain dead Sunday, and his body has been flown to Pittsburgh, Pa., for organ removal and donation, according to his father.

Hilchey’s family is holding informal visiting hours at 295 Hook Place, Ithaca, N.Y., Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. A memorial for Hilchey is being planned for later this summer.

Emily Sullivan and Richard Chess contributed reporting.

The article will be updated as information becomes available.

Counseling and support services are available to the Emory community. Students may reach the Counseling and Psychological Services Center by calling 404.727.7450 or the Office of Religious Life at 404.727.6225. Faculty and staff may reach the Faculty Staff Assistance Program at 404.727.4328.

Michelle Lou (19C) is from Irvine, Calif., majoring in political science and minoring in East Asian studies. She previously served as copy chief, news editor and executive editor. She won first place in the 2017 Georgia College Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest in the category Best News Article Based on Investigative Reporting for her coverage of the Spring 2017 student government elections. Outside the Wheel, she is an undergraduate research fellow at Emory’s Center for Law and Social Science; a member of Phi Eta Sigma, Omicron Delta Kappa and Pi Sigma Alpha; and an avid snorkler. She has interned at USA TODAY's copy desk and HuffPost's breaking news team.