Emory University ranked No. 15 in Kiplinger’s annual survey of the top 100 “Best Values in Private Universities” for 2012-2013, maintaining its high ranking on the survey since 2007.

Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine ranks universities based on measurable criterion of affordability and quality education, and the University has consistently been in the top 20, but dropped two places this year.

The survey is based on an assessment of total cost, financial aid, competitiveness and academic support at schools, according to the Kiplinger’s Finance Magazine. According to a breakdown of how Kiplinger ranked the top college values, the combination of academic excellence and affordability represents Kiplinger’s definition of value.

“High marks are given to institutions with the lowest total cost and low net cost,” said Dean Bentley, Emory’s director of financial aid. “Emory’s commitment to financial aid consistently places us in Kiplinger’s top 20 best values.”

Emory University’s financial aid program, according to Emory’s Office of Financial Aid website, is committed to providing attainable education to all students by meeting 100 percent of the demonstrated financial need and lowering tuition costs through the Emory Advantage program.  The Emory Advantage program, available to all students whose families receive annual incomes of $100,000 or less provides financial aid through loan replacement and loan cap programs which reduce the overall amount borrowed for an Emory undergraduate degree. According to an Oct. 31 University press release, 70 percent of Emory undergraduates also receive financial aid.

The magazine used measurable standards to calculate the rankings including assessing each university’s tuition cost, percentage of financial need met, average student debt, admissions rate, four-year graduation rate, SAT scores and student per faculty ratio. Kiplinger’s survey also evaluated a combination of factors, including cost and quality education at private universities, to ensure the rankings are standardized and holistic.

The Office of Financial Aid at Emory University has also been highly praised by Kiplinger’s Magazine in the past for its average need-based aid of $33,323 and average non-need based aid of $21,821 through merit awards and grants.

“Emory’s average net price to first time undergraduates has been less than 50 percent of the total cost of attendance for the past three years,” Bentley said, “This measure is a reflection of Emory’s core commitment to need-based financial aid, affordability and access.”

By Fiona Zhao