The No.8-ranked Emory volleyball team remained undefeated on Saturday after earning two tough wins at the Randolph-Macon Invitational over the weekend. The Eagles now hold a record of 7-0 following a 3-1 (25-22, 27-25, 28-30, 25-14) triumph over Trinity University (Texas) and a 3-2 victory (23-25, 25-16, 19-25, 25-20, 15-10) against host of the Invitational, Randolph-Macon College (Va.).

“The teams we played this weekend definitely came with a strategy with how to play us. They gave us a lot of junk balls which can be very frustrating, but we worked through each game point by point,” junior outside hitter Leah Jacobs said.

Emory hit .263, while Trinity ended with a .207.

“It was a tough but very fulfilling weekend for us,” Head Coach Jenny McDowell said. “Every team is going to give us their best shot, and that’s exactly what happened. I was so proud of the way our team stayed focused and executed during the most pressured-filled times of the match. It seems that we are at our best at the biggest moments of the match. It says so much about the will and character of our team and our outstanding leadership.”

Junior middle hitter/outside hitter Kate Bowman led the players with a career high of 19 kills and a contribution of 12 digs.

“Our middle hitters were very successful this weekend because our opponents couldn’t defend our quick attacks. That really gave us an advantage,” Bowman said.

Junior middle hitter/right-side hitter Cat McGrath banged out 16 terminations and hit a .344.

Jacobs and freshman middle blocker Jessica Holler completed the top attackers with their 14 and 12 kills, respectively.

“Leah Jacobs showed how dominant she can be,” McDowell said. “Although not the tallest outside hitter on the court, she is definitely the most dynamic. She was a game changer for us. All of her hard work this summer is paying off now.”

Sophomore setter Sydney Miles not only assisted in the victory with a career high of 62 assists (10th on the Eagles single-game list), but was also named Volleyball Offensive Player of the week by the University Athletic Association.

It is her second time being given the honor.

“I think that this weekend really demonstrated our tenacity on the court but also pointed out what we need to work on in order to go all the way this season. The rest of the season will continue to push us, and we are all excited to get the chance to rise up to the various occasions and challenges,” Miles said.

Sophomore left-side hitter Taylor Erwin also led all players in helping Emory get to a 98-83 edge with her 27 digs.

In the final game against Randolph-Macon, Emory faced a 2-1 deficit after three sets.

The girls fought hard and took on the challenge, keeping the Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets at a negative hitting percentage.

As the game continued, McGrath finished with 12 kills, a hitting percentage of .476, and six block assists.

“Our depth is going to play a key role in our success this season and that proved once again to be a major factor in bringing home four victories. I thought our middles; Cat McGrath, Jessica Holler and Shannon Nugent were excellent this weekend. Sydney [Miles] got them the ball as much as she could, and they were able to score a ton of points for us. Plus, they came up with some big blocks when we needed them most,” McDowell said.

Jacobs and Holler made 11 successful put-aways and 10 kills, respectively. Miles continued her strong play with an impressive 41 assists. Erwin rounded out the team’s intensity with a season-high of 28 digs.

“There is nothing more promising than playing with a group of girls with the mindset that we know we are going to win every game and we will do whatever it takes to get that win,” Erwin said. “I know that my teammates and I have a lot to prove and we are totally focused and ready to do so.”

The Eagles will play their first home games next Friday and Saturday (Sept. 13 and 14) when they host the Emory Classic.

Emory will host Millsaps University (Miss.) at 3:00 p.m. and No. 5-ranked Christopher Newport University (Va.) at 8:00 p.m.

“I think after these past two weekends, we’ve put a target on our back because we have proven early on that we are the best team in the nation … We are playing some big teams next weekend and are still working to improve, but no matter what game they bring, we’re ready,” Jacobs said.

By Nicola Braginsky 

Photo by Christine Hines