The sixth-ranked volleyball team won the University Athletic Association (UAA) Round Robin I in Chicago this weekend.

There, the Eagles defeating New York University (NYU), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and the University of Chicago.

Emory did not drop oen set throughout the weekend matches.

The Eagles’ record is now 19-3 on the year.

This round robin marked the start of a month-long road trip, after playing their last six matches at home. The Eagles will certainly miss playing at the Woodruff P.E. Center.

At home, Eagles have won close to 86 percent of matches, maintaining a 293-48 record since 1992.

Head Coach Jenny McDowell was very satisfied with how her team performed.

McDowell said she noticed how contributions were coming from the whole team, rather than just from a small group.

“It was a tremendous weekend for us,” McDowell wrote  in an email to the Wheel. “We were focused on going 3-0 to start conference play and fortunately through great practice preparation, outstanding leadership, and focus we were able to do just that.”

In their first game Saturday, the Eagles defeated NYU 3-0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-11).

Seniors middle hitters Alex Duhl and Breanah Bourque, along with sophomore outside hitter Kate Bowman, led the offensive attack, each totaling eight kills.

Freshman libero Taylor Erwin and sophomore ouside hitter Cami Silverman supported a defensive effort with 13 and 10 digs respectively.

Freshman setter Sydney Miles had seven kills and recorded 31 assists.

“Our setter Sydney Miles did a great job of running the offense, attacking efficiently, and setting the hot hitters,” McDowell wrote. “But most importantly, she is able to stay calm and make great decisions at critical times. She’s a winner!”

Bourque was dominant in the team’s second match of the day, where the Eagles beat CMU in straight sets (25-10, 25-13, 25-18).

She was unstoppable, managing 16 kills and four total blocks.

She had no hitting errors in 19 attack attempts and had the third-highest hitting percentage for a single match in Emory history at.842.

Duhl got seven kills and three solo blocks in the victory as well.

Emory’s dominance continued when they played the fourteenth-ranked University of Chicago team in their final match.

The Eagles boosted their record to an overall 19-3, 3-0 in the league by beating the Maroons in straight sets (27-25, 25-23, 25-11).

The first two sets were close, but Emory managed to pull away to, finish off Chicago in the final set.

The Eagles had nine more digs than Chicago and an average of two more total blocks. Bourque once again paced the offense with a match high 15 kills.

Bowman also chipped in with nine kills and 11 digs, which were second to Erwin’s 12.

Miles has 28 assists with five digs and a pair of block assists in the victory.

McDowell was very pleased with how her team played this weekend and noticed how her players are starting to improve.

“Our outside hitters, Cami Silverman and Kate Bowman had their best weekend yet,” McDowell wrote. “They improved their hitting efficiency and made the big swings when we needed them. Plus they both continue to play great defense.”

The Eagles have had contributions from players who have been consistently performing over the past few weeks, but also from other players as well.

“We had huge contributions from [sophomore] Olivia Volarich defensively and from the service line,” McDowell wrote. “She has made a big difference for us these last few weeks!”

Miles, who averaged 10.54 assists per set this past weekend, was, like McDowell, happy with how her teamed played.

“I thought the team came out and really competed this weekend,” Miles said. “We won three well fought matches and proved that we are strong contenders in our conference. It was a good weekend for Emory Volleyball.”

The Eagles continue their month long road trip on Oct. 13 and 14 at the UAA Round Robin II in Pittsburgh, Penn.

– By Alexander Del Re